Old 14-07-2005, 08:39 AM
TheScullster

Default Tree Pruning Approach

Hi all

We have two largish trees in our back garden, a copper beach and a silver
birch.
Both of these specimens are in need of a hair cut!
Is it usual (better for the tree) to cut back new branches to the point
where other branches have previously cut back to? Are these points called
pollards? It would look way neater to cut further back into the major
branches and improve the shape of both trees.

Finally, once this is done, is it reasonable to expect to be able to keep
the trees at their new size/shape, or are we bound to be calling in the tree
surgeons every 3-5 years?

TIA

Phil

Old 14-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Dwayne

Decide how you want the trees to look when you are done. How are they
traditionally shaped? Cut out all dead wood and limbs that are growing
toward another limb that will cause them to rub now or at a later date.

Dwayne