Old 23-02-2009, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best Approach for Replacing an Old Tree

The message

from contains these words:

From the shape & condition of this tree as well as its likely age - it
looks like it's been 'rescued' several times before. It's badly
misshapen, is rotting in more than 1 places, is not a good fruiter &
would need to be savagely cut back to even last another few years.
I've been told by the tree surgeon & also an experienced professional
gardener that it's on it's way out.

Frankly - it's a pretty sorry thing and while it might be technically
possible to prolong its life by another couple of years, to be honest
in my books it's time has come, so any advice on replacement would be
welcome.

Well, if it were my tree and it had to come down, I'd turn it into a
gunstock if there was enough wood in the right places, and use the rest
of the sound wood for turning and carving, and the rest on my stove.

Oh.

Perhaps that's not what you wanted to know...

Leave it there and grow a vine up it? Actinidea? (Chinese gooseberry)
Boskoop's Glory (grape).

Otherwoise, 'bor, dig it ewt, leavin' a girt greart hoole, fill the
hoole with fresh soil, compost, oold leather shoes, handbags, boones,
the noisy neighbour, compost, boonemeal, and plarnt a gud oold variety
loike Devonshire Quarrenden, Charles Ross, Bramley, etc.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig