Old 15-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Garry Nixon

Default Sage Seeds - How to Harvest

I'm growing sage for the first time. The plants have all flowered. I've
taken a picture of how The flowering tops look now:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5...d%20poppy3.jpg

Each flower seems to have a small green seed in it. I'd like to harvest
these if possible, to sow next year. Should I cut off the flowering tops
now and leave them to dry, or what? I'm a complete newbie to this.

Any advice on the next step would be welcome.

Thanks,

Garry Nixon

--
blog: http://pigstyave.blogspot.com/

remove upper case to email me

Old 15-07-2005, 05:28 PM
simy1

the seed should be black and shiny when ready. Wait until about ten
days after the flower has completely dried up. You can check their
progress by sacrificing a few flowers. The seeds will probably go brown
or beige before blackening. Store in a ziploc bag the freezer until
next spring.
Keep in mind that one sage plant can grow quite large, typically one
will be enough for a family. I have two, and each is two feet tall.

Old 15-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Boron Elgar

On 15 Jul 2005 09:28:18 -0700, "simy1" wrote:

the seed should be black and shiny when ready. Wait until about ten
days after the flower has completely dried up. You can check their
progress by sacrificing a few flowers. The seeds will probably go brown
or beige before blackening. Store in a ziploc bag the freezer until
next spring.
Keep in mind that one sage plant can grow quite large, typically one
will be enough for a family. I have two, and each is two feet tall.

Though it would be nice to have seed to grow additional plants, my
sages (3 varieties) are hearty perennials, surviving the winters quite
well in Zone 6. In fact, two of them are even in tubs on an open deck.

Boron