Old 17-07-2005, 10:39 AM
roddy

Default Cougettes blossom end rot

This is the first year I have grown courgettes.
Have followed a rigorous watering regime and weekly liquid feed; but the
fruit is suffering from blossom end rot and develop into small marrows very
quickly.
Am I over watering and feeding?
Roddy

Old 17-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Alan Gould

In article , roddy
writes
This is the first year I have grown courgettes.
Have followed a rigorous watering regime and weekly liquid feed; but the
fruit is suffering from blossom end rot and develop into small marrows very
quickly.
Am I over watering and feeding?

Quite possibly. Take off all rot affected fruits. Stop feeding them and
water them only once per day for a while until you see an improvement.

Rapid development into marrows can be encouraged by (over) generous
feeding and watering, but it is more likely to be an outcome of the
plant type. We grow marrows from the Green Bush or All Green Bush
variety, and their fruits can be taken as courgettes when they are very
small, but for specifically courgette production, we prefer the
Zucchini types such as Nero de Milan, Defender F1 etc. They are deeper
green, better shaped and better flavoured at courgette size. If left on
the plant, they would eventually develop into marrows, but that will
inhibit more courgettes from developing on the plant.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 17-07-2005, 11:28 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan Gould" wrote after roddy asked
[...]

Just to add, we usually find the first few fruit do shrivel at the end and
drop off and I've always assumed it was because they wern't fertilised.
Don't worry you will soon have a glut. :-)
You need to pick almost on a daily basis or they will become too big.
--
Regards
Bob

Old 01-08-2005, 08:03 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , roddy
writes
[...]

I think I have a similar problem - the courgette (bought from a plant stall
and labelled 'All Green Bush') seems to rot at the flower end very quickly.
I am trying to knock the flower off before the rot starts but am not always
successful.

What seems to happen is that the end is stunted and starts to rot, but the
rest of the fruit grows rapidly so I have a broad fruit with a pointy end,
which rots if I don't cut it off.

The latest fruits are looking better, so perhaps I got to them in time.

Cheers

Dave R

rot rot rot [email protected] Orchids 29 30-03-2006 08:56 PM
How much lime to treat blossom end rot? [email protected] Gardening 26 28-07-2004 07:02 PM
Tomato brownish ends NOT BLOSSOM END ROT Dan Edible Gardening 2 28-07-2004 06:02 PM
tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (thanks) Lynn Coffelt Edible Gardening 3 12-05-2003 03:32 AM
tomato "blossom end rot" what to do? (long) Frogleg Edible Gardening 3 01-05-2003 04:32 AM