Old 18-07-2005, 09:07 AM
CJT

Default Hard Lawn aeriation?

Hi,

I've a lawn which was lain about 3 years ago, but has since been
neglected. It's very hard, and has a slight incline which means that
any watering tends to trickle down and collect at the bottom.

Also, it's getting quite weedy and mossy (plus some dead patches).

So, am i right in thinking that what i really need for restoring my lawn
is good aeriation? And am i also right in thinking that good aeriation
will allow the lawn to soften, breathe and therefore produce a stronger
grass, which will prevent weeds/moss?

If so, i'd like to acquire some of those shoes with spikes for walking
on the lawn, but can't find them in the usual DIY stores. Does anybody
know where to find them? Or is there a simpler alternative?

Thanks,

Chris.
Old 18-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Oxymel of Squill

the shoes don't work unless the ground is quite soft and doesn't need
aeration, and you're a very gravitationally challenged bod. Also if you do
manage to stab them into the ground you give yourself a hernia pulling them
out again, the platform separates from your foot and you tumble over with
the effort. You could have mine but I junked them in disgust

You can use a common pitchfork, or B&Q have a frame type thingy with tubes
on the bottom which extract plugs so that you can sweep sand in

And you need to use a wire rake to scarify the whole to get rid of the moss,
and invest in a ton of 'feed 'n' weed' stuff from B&Q.

Best plough it up and grow turnips. I hate lawns

Old 18-07-2005, 02:00 PM
JB

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:07:25 +0100, CJT
wrote:

Hi,

I've a lawn which was lain about 3 years ago, but has since been
neglected. It's very hard, and has a slight incline which means that
any watering tends to trickle down and collect at the bottom.

Also, it's getting quite weedy and mossy (plus some dead patches).

So, am i right in thinking that what i really need for restoring my lawn
is good aeriation? And am i also right in thinking that good aeriation
will allow the lawn to soften, breathe and therefore produce a stronger
grass, which will prevent weeds/moss?

If so, i'd like to acquire some of those shoes with spikes for walking
on the lawn, but can't find them in the usual DIY stores. Does anybody
know where to find them? Or is there a simpler alternative?

The 'shoes' do not penetrate nearly deeply enough to be any use. Just
use a garden fork later in the year and then top dress with sharp sand
/ manure / compost. Its not an instant solution but its cheaper and
more effective than most of the alternatives.

If you have a big area you can get machines to do this but they are
expensive and not worth considering until you are considering an area
which is a significant fraction of an acre (where significant is a
variable defined by your budget time and enthusiasm)

JB

Old 18-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

[...]

Anyhow, for most gardens all these things are just another way of
placing a considerable distance between us and our money. A patch of
grass will aerate itself quite nicely, nearly every time, in all the
customary natural ways. If it's struggling for survival on
hard-packed clay subsoil, or has just been trampled over by thousands
of golf-watchers, the labour might be worthwhile; but even then the
grass should win in the end without assistance. I'd just give it a
bit of a feed (when the rains come), do a bit of raking and weeding
maybe, and let nature take its course. Don't mow too short.

So many of the instructions for lawn-maintenance are aimed at an
anorak's text-book perfect result; most of us don't need that, and
half of us wouldn't even notice. I can think of more rewarding
obsessions.

--
Mike.

Old 18-07-2005, 04:00 PM
CJT

Oxymel of Squill wrote:

Best plough it up and grow turnips. I hate lawns

Heh! Can't see SWMBO or the ankle-biters going for that one

Thanks for the advice all. Perhaps i'll stick to forking it and letting
it fend for itself...

Chris.