Old 23-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Kay

In article , JennyC
writes

"Christopher Norton" wrote in message
The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

Look up recipes for Marrows and not courgettes. You`ll find something.
Roasted is the way I`d go.

I remember stuffed marrow that my mother used to make.......
It was yucky !! Watery marrow stuffed with mince :~(

Try it again. Firstly, tastes change between childhood and adulthood.
Secondly - do it properly - best quality mince for flavour, then your
choice of ingredients to make the juice as rich as possible. I would use
tomato, onion, dried mushroom, garlic, green pepper, perhaps a small
amount of chilli. No need for added liquid in any form - the marrow will
provide that. And bake the whole thing from raw so that the meat
flavours permeate the marrow - don't be tempted to pre-cook the mince.

If your mother's stuffed marrow was watery, I begin to wonder whether
she was cheating, cooking mince and marrow separately and combining them
at the last moment.
--
Kay

Old 23-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Jenny said
I remember stuffed marrow that my mother used to make.......
It was yucky !! Watery marrow stuffed with mince :~(

My mother didn't used to make watery marrow, but whatever we do we
always end with watery marrow.

You may be cooking it too cool or covered. That water needs to
evaporate off.

Cut the marrow into shallow rings, 2cm deep,, scoop out the seeds,
pat off any juice with paper towel, and arrange them in a barely-oiled
shallow roasting tin. Brush rings lightly with olive oil. Stuff. Cook
uncovered at the top of a preheated very hot oven (the hot oven in an
Aga; 225. C until the marrow is tender and golden. There should be no
water at all swimming around in the tin.

Janet.
Old 23-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Klara

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
My mother didn't used to make watery marrow, but whatever we do we
always end with watery marrow.

You may be cooking it too cool or covered. That water needs to
evaporate off.

Cut the marrow into shallow rings, 2cm deep,, scoop out the seeds,
pat off any juice with paper towel, and arrange them in a barely-oiled
shallow roasting tin. Brush rings lightly with olive oil. Stuff. Cook
uncovered at the top of a preheated very hot oven (the hot oven in an
Aga; 225. C until the marrow is tender and golden. There should be no
water at all swimming around in the tin.

Janet.

Yes! Delicious! I would just add that yoghourt and dill are wonderful
with marrow, so in making the above I would baste near the end of
cooking with a bit of yoghourt and make a white sauce, add yoghourt and
finely chopped dill, and serve that with the marrow.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 24-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , JennyC
writes

I remember stuffed marrow that my mother used to make.......
It was yucky !! Watery marrow stuffed with mince :~(
Jenny

Jenny it couldn't be as bad as that awful vegetable spaghetti stuff
which looked like a marrow but when boiled and cut, came out in fibrous
strings!
That was absolutely awful and doesn't seem to be grown much any more.
I wonder why?

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-07-2005, 04:26 PM
JennyC

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:55:44 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:
Soup:
http://www.recipes4all.co.uk/index.php/topic,87.0.html

Courgette recipes:
http://www.recipes4all.co.uk/index.php/topic,85.0.html

Right!!
Marrow and roasted garlic soup it is
I'll let you know how it was......

I'll be able to smell it :-)
Martin

Roasting the garlic in the recipe seemed like too much work, so I used pre
pressed garlic from a jar........
It was great !!
jenny

Old 25-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Kay

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

Jenny it couldn't be as bad as that awful vegetable spaghetti stuff
which looked like a marrow but when boiled and cut, came out in fibrous
strings!
That was absolutely awful and doesn't seem to be grown much any more.
I wonder why?

It's good stuff of you treat it like spaghetti - serve it with a
generous helping of a rich meat sauce. And don't boil it - steam it or
bake it.
--
Kay