Old 21-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Pb

Default Phormium and eucalyptus

Hello all.

We have a eucalyptus tree under which we have planted two phormiums
(phormia?), hebes, hostas, a dogwood and a couple of other smaller plants
(well, to be honest the names escape me right now!) within a radius of
around six feet. All plants appear to be doing fine except for both
phormiums which are both turning brown and look likely to die.

The eucalyptus isn't tall and is kept at around fifteen feet tall. The
phormiums are about five feet away from the base of the tree.

I have heard that eucalyptus are rather efficient at removing competition
but I have also heard that they are simply too good at removing the water.
Is it simply too dry for the phormiums? I have been watering both of them
throughout the summer but, despite this, I may lose them (will have to move
them at the weekend and see if they can be rescued). I have two other
phormiums around the garden (one in a pot, one in the ground) and both of
these are fine.

Any suggestions? Could it be too dry? For me I would take out the tree but I
have been told I can't g.

Paul
--
o o