Old 08-03-2003, 04:59 PM
eddy

Default Using transparent trays for seeds

I plan to use some transparent trays for propagating seeds, is this
feasible or will the roots dislike the light ?
and become stunted
(trays are old fruit storage from Sainsburys )

Old 08-03-2003, 07:10 PM
ned

eddy wrote:
I plan to use some transparent trays for propagating seeds, is this
feasible or will the roots dislike the light ?
and become stunted
(trays are old fruit storage from Sainsburys )

My childhood recollections of growing beans in jam jars so that root
development could be observed, would indicate that it seemed OK. But,
'taint natural.
Anyway, any roots a quarter of an inch back from the transparent sides
of your trays probably won't know any difference.
More power to your re-cycling elbow. ;-)

--
ned

Old 08-03-2003, 11:50 PM
Natalie

"eddy" wrote in message
I plan to use some transparent trays for propagating seeds, is this
feasible or will the roots dislike the light ?
and become stunted
(trays are old fruit storage from Sainsburys )

I've started collecting transparent yoghurt pots so that the children in the
school I work can see how different plants grow in the soil. Teachers often
use broad beans because they know it is going to work.

I'm not sure how successful it is going to be but it is good to experiment!

Natalie

Old 09-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Natalie
writes

"eddy" wrote in message
.. .
I plan to use some transparent trays for propagating seeds, is this
feasible or will the roots dislike the light ?
and become stunted
(trays are old fruit storage from Sainsburys )

I've started collecting transparent yoghurt pots so that the children in the
school I work can see how different plants grow in the soil. Teachers often
use broad beans because they know it is going to work.

I'm not sure how successful it is going to be but it is good to experiment!

You'll find that green algae will grow on the inside of the pot so it
will end up opaque. Therefore use seeds which germinate and grow quite
quickly.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 09-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Martin Sykes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Natalie
writes

"eddy" wrote in message
.. .
I plan to use some transparent trays for propagating seeds, is this
feasible or will the roots dislike the light ?
and become stunted
(trays are old fruit storage from Sainsburys )

I've started collecting transparent yoghurt pots so that the children in

the
school I work can see how different plants grow in the soil. Teachers

often
use broad beans because they know it is going to work.

I'm not sure how successful it is going to be but it is good to

experiment!

You'll find that green algae will grow on the inside of the pot so it
will end up opaque. Therefore use seeds which germinate and grow quite
quickly.

When at school we did the same thing with jam jars but wrapped paper around
them to keep them dark. You can then slide off the paper sleeve when you
want to look at them. This should stop the algae if you want to do it as an
experiment.

Incidentally, I've started using the plastic trays from individual microwave
puddings - chocolate sponge, treacle sponge, bread/butter pudding etc. With
a couple of holes poked in the bottom they work just as well as individual
plant pots, look nicer, cost nothing and its much more enjoyable collecting
them ;-)

Martin