Old 06-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Pete

Default Transparent hedge in winter

We have a mixed 6 foot deciduous hedge (30 feet long) at the front of the
house which makes a great screen from the road in the summer. Problem is it
turns transparent in the winter as the leaves drop. Not sure of the plants
but one I think is Blackthorn (has Sloe Berries) and another might be
hawthorn or similar?

I have considered digging it up and replacing with a fast-growing evergreen
(privet or similar) but I realise that is going to be huge effort and will
probably take some years to get back up to 6 foot.

We have a restriction from building fences or walls so I was wondering if
there are other alternatives such as growing an evergreen climber such as
ivy to climb through and over so the evergreen climber provides the screen
in the winter? Will this tend to smother and kill off the hedge or is it
feasible?

any ideas

regards

Peter

Old 06-08-2003, 10:52 PM
Sacha

in article , Pete at junk wrote
on 6/8/03 9:37 pm:

snip
We have a restriction from building fences or walls so I was wondering if
there are other alternatives such as growing an evergreen climber such as
ivy to climb through and over so the evergreen climber provides the screen
in the winter? Will this tend to smother and kill off the hedge or is it
feasible?

any ideas

Where do you live? In some parts of the country you can grow evergreen
hedging plants such as Escallonia. That grows fast, flowers and will give
good screening. So does Griselinia. Beech can grow to 8 or 9 feet and
retain its dead leaves in winter, giving a screen. (above that it will lose
its leaves) Some Eucalyptus can be used as evergreen hedging but you'd need
to choose the right ones.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 06-08-2003, 11:36 PM
Pete

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , Pete at junk

wrote
on 6/8/03 9:37 pm:

snip
[...]

We live in Ipswich, Suffolk so milder than some parts of the country.
Also need to add that the hedge is right next to a public footpath so I need
to avoid big roots that will cause problems (the previous owner planted
another section of hedge we have - conifers which have caused lifting and
cracking of the tarmac pavement).

I didn't really want to go to huge effort to dig up the old hedge and
prepare etc. but if it is my only option then I will go for it this winter.
Escallonia sounds good if I'm going to go to the effort - I like the idea of
flowers as well in the summer

Pete

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 06-08-2003, 11:43 PM
David Hill

Get a load of cuttings of Lonicera Natidia, early October, and stick them in
6 inches or more, along the base of the existing hedge every 6 inches,
single or double row, they will root over the winter then grow up through
the hedge, not all will survive but I think you will be surprised at the
number that take.
I did this 3 years ago and the hedge now looks as if it is 50 % lonicera.
and if you can scrounge the cuttings then its also a very cheap solution

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 07-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Essjay001

Pete wrote:
snip
We have a restriction from building fences or walls

What restrictions? where?

snip

Steve R

--
"Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect
for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you

Old 08-08-2003, 12:48 AM
Pete

"Essjay001" wrote in message
Pete wrote:
snip
We have a restriction from building fences or walls

What restrictions? where?

I think our deeds specifically state we are not allowed to erect a wall or
fence on the front boundary. A hedge is a bit of a grey area but since
there is one there already then I'm not concerned about replacing it with
another hedge. Also I prefer something living - cheaper and nicer to look
at.

Pete

snip

Steve R

Old 08-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Sacha

in article , Pete at junk wrote
on 7/8/03 9:55 pm:

"Essjay001" wrote in message
Pete wrote:
snip
We have a restriction from building fences or walls

What restrictions? where?

I think our deeds specifically state we are not allowed to erect a wall or
fence on the front boundary. A hedge is a bit of a grey area but since
there is one there already then I'm not concerned about replacing it with
another hedge. Also I prefer something living - cheaper and nicer to look
at.

Pete

Infinitely better for the wildlife, too.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 08-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Pete

"David Hill" wrote in message
Get a load of cuttings of Lonicera Natidia, early October, and stick them

in
6 inches or more, along the base of the existing hedge every 6 inches,
single or double row, they will root over the winter then grow up through
the hedge, not all will survive but I think you will be surprised at the
number that take.
I did this 3 years ago and the hedge now looks as if it is 50 % lonicera.
and if you can scrounge the cuttings then its also a very cheap solution

Hmm - interesting suggestion.

But I haven't got any room at all on the footpatch side (overhangs) and not
a lot of room on the back side - it would really need to go in its place.
Would it grow up the middle and would it struggle for light and food with
the existing growing again in the spring? Existing is maybe 3 feet deep or
more.

Or would it be worth chopping the existing hedge half back as much as I can
(i.e. chop it 'in half' from the back) and planting the Lonicera to grow
into the back of it?

Pete

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-08-2003, 04:04 AM
David Hill

".........Would it grow up the middle and would it struggle for light and
food with the existing growing again in the spring? Existing is maybe 3
feet deep or
more. ........"

Yes and Yes, but if you cut your existing hedge back when it has been in
leaf for a few weeks, say Sometime in April then it will be a couple of
months till it gets thick again and taking light from the Lonicera, yes it
will grow leggy but you can cut it back in oct or as soon as the leaves are
off the thorn and it will thicken well 2nd year, and where it is on the
surface then it will thicken with clipping.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 08-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Essjay001

Pete wrote:
"Essjay001" wrote in message
Pete wrote:
snip
We have a restriction from building fences or walls

What restrictions? where?

I think our deeds specifically state we are not allowed to erect a
wall or fence on the front boundary. A hedge is a bit of a grey area
but since there is one there already then I'm not concerned about
replacing it with another hedge. Also I prefer something living -
cheaper and nicer to look at.

I asked because I have a clause such as this on my property. I am not
allowed to park a car or caravan on my front garden. (after all with a 100
foot drive and double garage at the back of the house why would I?) But I
seem to be the only one in the street. I have been told it is easy to get
such a restriction removed. However if you don't want a wall or fence it is
not a problem for you.

My house is an ex-council house and I assume that they put the clause in at
the time of sale, but I now see that the council is dropping kerbs for their
tenants even in the same terrace.

Steve R

Old 08-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Kay Easton

In article , PJ
writes

Self repairing and very little maintenance IMHO as well.

Hmm.

Sound insulation is
excellent.

Not as good as solid brick

If you want privacy the hedge can be let grow to 7 feet even
without causing offence, whereas a wall that high will just look appalling.

And require planning permission
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
PJ

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 8:20:30 +0100, Kay Easton wrote
(in message ):

In article , PJ
writes

Self repairing and very little maintenance IMHO as well.

Hmm.

Well my simple privet hedge seems to be fine with just two trimmings a year
with my electric hedge trimmer

It would be better if I did more I guess...

Sound insulation is
excellent.

Not as good as solid brick

This is very true, but the hedge does have the advantage of creating a lovely
sonic environment in the area it is enclosing.

If you want privacy the hedge can be let grow to 7 feet even
without causing offence, whereas a wall that high will just look appalling.

And require planning permission

I have heard that over 6 foot walls require planning permission, but this is
hearsay on my part, I don't know what the rules are really.

--
Patrick

Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Kay Easton

In article , PJ
writes
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 8:20:30 +0100, Kay Easton wrote
(in message ):

In article , PJ
writes

Self repairing and very little maintenance IMHO as well.

Hmm.

Well my simple privet hedge seems to be fine with just two trimmings a year
with my electric hedge trimmer

That's what I call high maintenance ;-)

It would be better if I did more I guess...

Sound insulation is
excellent.

Not as good as solid brick

This is very true, but the hedge does have the advantage of creating a lovely
sonic environment in the area it is enclosing.

I'm very happy it's a church between us and the A65 rather than a hedge!

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: