Old 09-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Paul England

Default Soil-less compost

The sowing guide, which came with my seeds, suggest the use of soilless
composts, rather than J.Innes seed c.
I don't want to go to a nursery and end up being sold a bag of peat.
What should I be looking for on the bag's ingredients ?
Any help much appreciated.

Regards .......... Paul

Old 09-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Paul
England writes
The sowing guide, which came with my seeds,

Chiltern, by any chance?

suggest the use of soilless
composts, rather than J.Innes seed c.
I don't want to go to a nursery and end up being sold a bag of peat.
What should I be looking for on the bag's ingredients ?
Any help much appreciated.

They usually have some phrase like 'peat free'. Tend to be coir based or
wood chip based. I use new Horizon. I don't get fantastic results, but
whether that's me or the compost I wouldn't like to say!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 09-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Paul England

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Paul
England writes
The sowing guide, which came with my seeds,

Chiltern, by any chance?

Yes its Chiltons

They usually have some phrase like 'peat free'. Tend to be coir based or
wood chip based. I use new Horizon. I don't get fantastic results, but
whether that's me or the compost I wouldn't like to say!
--
Kay Easton

I have no experience with woodchip or coir based composts Kay. I would
prefer something fine-to-powdery for seeds. Am I right in assuming that coir
or w/chip is fairly course ?

Paul

Old 09-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Paul
England writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Paul
England writes
The sowing guide, which came with my seeds,

Chiltern, by any chance?

Yes its Chiltons

They usually have some phrase like 'peat free'. Tend to be coir based or
wood chip based. I use new Horizon. I don't get fantastic results, but
whether that's me or the compost I wouldn't like to say!

I have no experience with woodchip or coir based composts Kay. I would
prefer something fine-to-powdery for seeds. Am I right in assuming that coir
or w/chip is fairly course ?

Yes.