Old 09-03-2003, 03:46 PM
Rosie

Default Digging up big roots

I've chopped down an old hebe that had turned into a twenty-foot afro
sitting on the lawn. Now I've got a two-foot clump of about twenty large
'trunks' - I tried to dig this up yesterday but HA! no dice AT ALL. What
can I do?

ROSIE

Old 09-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Ken Saunders

"Rosie" wrote in message ...
I've chopped down an old hebe that had turned into a twenty-foot afro
sitting on the lawn. Now I've got a two-foot clump of about twenty large
'trunks' - I tried to dig this up yesterday but HA! no dice AT ALL. What
can I do?

ROSIE

One of my best buys ever, Rosie, was a post hole spade, very thick
narrow and long.Cost me £2 from a boot sale.Ideal for your job in
hand and also for digging clay land.Don't know the new cost..Ken
Old 09-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Rod

"Rosie" wrote in message ...
I've chopped down an old hebe that had turned into a twenty-foot afro
sitting on the lawn. Now I've got a two-foot clump of about twenty large
'trunks' - I tried to dig this up yesterday but HA! no dice AT ALL. What
can I do?

ROSIE

Does it *really* have to be got out. You could cut it at ground level (fair chance it won't grow back -treat with Root
Out if it tries) and plant something nice around it to camouflage it. A ring of plants works better than just one or two
plants. Something that makes a nice moundy shape works well. I used about 10 Cotoneaster franchettii around a huge Beech
stump a couple of years ago and you wouldn't know the stump was there now. The big Cotoneaster is too big for your
situation but something smaller of similar habit would be OK.

Rod

Rod

Old 09-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Rod

Oops I was confusing 2 posts - We're talking Hebe, now that might grow back so if you want to be rid of it I would treat
it(Round-up or Root Out) before planting anything else. Hebes respond well to hard pruning so it will in any case grow
back as a much nicer plant and can be hacked down whenever it gets too much for you.

Rod

Old 10-03-2003, 12:22 AM
Andy Spragg

"Rosie" pushed briefly to the front of the queue
on Sun, 9 Mar 2003 15:46:16 -0000, and nailed this to the shed door:

^ I've chopped down an old hebe that had turned into a twenty-foot afro
^ sitting on the lawn. Now I've got a two-foot clump of about twenty large
^ 'trunks' - I tried to dig this up yesterday but HA! no dice AT ALL. What
^ can I do?
^
^ ROSIE

Hey, Rosie, are you the significant other Rosie of the guy I share the
office with? We are talking ponytail and Jazz FM here, as well as a
penchant for serious roototomy. If so, tell him to get a grip and dig
out his own roots!

Andy

--
sparge at globalnet point co point uk

"Personally, I would rather share the road
with a good driver with 80mg/l
than some of the clowns I see every day cold sober"
Martin Dixon, uk.rec.sheddizen

Old 10-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Rosie

Dear Andy,

I would most definitely not be the significant other of a man with a
ponytail.

Regards,
ROSIE

Old 10-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Jane Lumley

In article , Rod
writes

"Rosie" wrote in message .
uk...
I've chopped down an old hebe that had turned into a twenty-foot afro
sitting on the lawn. Now I've got a two-foot clump of about twenty large
'trunks' - I tried to dig this up yesterday but HA! no dice AT ALL. What
can I do?

ROSIE

I tend to do it piecemeal - keep sawing bits off the roots and then
rocking the whole thing violently, the n sawing off a bit more - after a
few days of this most will come out. If that fails, you could get a
tree surgeon to whip it out.

--
Jane Lumley
Old 10-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Sarah Dale

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 15:46:16 +0000, Rosie wrote:

I've chopped down an old hebe that had turned into a twenty-foot afro
sitting on the lawn. Now I've got a two-foot clump of about twenty large
'trunks' - I tried to dig this up yesterday but HA! no dice AT ALL. What

Hi Rosie,

I feel for you. Since inheriting this garden (2 years ago yesterday!) I've
dug up several hebes and one HUGE pampass grass.

I'm afraid your only route is persitance and leverage. Progressivly
digging round the "stump" and cutting smaller roots as you go (I found a
pruning saw *very* helpful for this), will help loosen the central mass. A
pickaxe wedged as far as you can under that lot, then levered up and down
gradually in multiple positions will help lift the mass and allow you to
cut roots from under it.

Just make sure you pickaxe handle is sound, and have somewhere soft to
land! How do I know this - having dug a moat round my pampass grass in an
effort to dig it out, I got the pickaxe under the pampass grass roor ball
and heaved with all my might, just as the root ball lifted a little, the
pickaxe handle snapped in half, landing me on my rear end rather abrubtly!
I was not best pleased to say the least.....

You may want to work over several days to ease the frustration / back ache
factor. Wet soil could also help

Sarah