Old 05-05-2008, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Peace lily drooping for about a year

I have a peace lily that didn't so well after repotting so I took the
advice of a poster here and washed off the roots, and repotted in a
smaller pot with fresh soil. It continued to droop and I thought it
would die but I kept watering it and it has survived for a year but it
is still drooping to the point where some leaves are horizontal. Is
there anything I can do to revive it? Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Chris M wrote:

I have a peace lily that didn't so well after repotting so I took the
advice of a poster here and washed off the roots, and repotted in a
smaller pot with fresh soil. It continued to droop and I thought it
would die but I kept watering it and it has survived for a year but it
is still drooping to the point where some leaves are horizontal. Is
there anything I can do to revive it? Thanks,
Chris

Give us some particulars, indoors, out doors, sunlight, watering,
feeding?
--

Billy
http://www.counterpunch.org/martin05022008.html
Old 06-05-2008, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sorry for the lack of details. It gets indirect moderately bright
sunlight through the day. It's next to a window, but the window is
about five inches above the plant, so it's really under the window.
I water it once a week. I try not to water it so much that water
drains into the coaster.
-Chris

On May 5, 1:05 am, Billy wrote:
In article
,

Billyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVTfcAyYGg&ref=patrick.nethttp://www.counterpunch.org/martin05022008.html

Old 06-05-2008, 05:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Chris M wrote:

Sorry for the lack of details. It gets indirect moderately bright
sunlight through the day. It's next to a window, but the window is
about five inches above the plant, so it's really under the window.
I water it once a week. I try not to water it so much that water
drains into the coaster.
-Chris

On May 5, 1:05 am, Billy wrote:
In article
,
Chris M wrote:

I have a peace lily that didn't so well after repotting so I took the
advice of a poster here and washed off the roots, and repotted in a
smaller pot with fresh soil. It continued to droop and I thought it
would die but I kept watering it and it has survived for a year but it
is still drooping to the point where some leaves are horizontal. Is
there anything I can do to revive it? Thanks,
Chris

Give us some particulars, indoors, out doors, sunlight, watering,
feeding?
--

Billyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVTfcAyYGg&ref=patrick.nethttp://www.co
unterpunch.org/martin05022008.html

It has survived a year? I would guess that it isn't getting enough
water. Put a bowl under it, and water until water comes out. Toss the
excess water. Wait until the soil looks dry and repeat. If that doesn't
work, get back to us. There should be a quick response, like in less
than a day.
--

Billy
Old 07-05-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

OK I've got two contrasting opinions from Billy and Jangchub. The
likelihood that I've been underwatering is probably greater so I'll
try that for a while. But at what point should I give up? The plant is
clearly still alive--the leaves are still green so I'd feel guilty
about discarding it, but it may continue to look like it's on the
verge of death.

-Chris

On May 5, 8:40 am, Jangchub wrote:
On Sun, 4 May 2008 20:16:10 -0700 (PDT), Chris M

wrote:
I have a peace lily that didn't so well after repotting so I took the
advice of a poster here and washed off the roots, and repotted in a
smaller pot with fresh soil. It continued to droop and I thought it
would die but I kept watering it and it has survived for a year but it
is still drooping to the point where some leaves are horizontal. Is
there anything I can do to revive it? Thanks,
Chris

You are most likely over watering it. It's the number one cause of
all plant ailments both indoor and outdoor. Whenever a plant is in
distress, it is never a good time to transplant it. I don't know who
told you to wash all the roots with water when the plant was not doing
well, but when you do this you hasten the plants ability to take in
water and nutrients. Root hairs are microscopic and easily damaged
when handled. Either way, most likely you are over watering it.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

wrote:
[...]

Does your water system have a water softener? If so, try a good
watering/draining with D.I. or distilled water.

Improper watering (under- or overwatering) is responsible for many
problems with houseplants. Water should be applied from the top of the
soil and the entire soil mass thoroughly moistened until runoff. This
flushes the soil of soluble salts from fertilizers that would otherwise
remain in the soil and build up to potentially toxic levels. By watering
in this manner, all roots in the pot receive water and a sturdy, deep
root system develops.

If it is under-watered, I would expect it to respond in a matter
of minutes (30 - 45 Min). If there is no improvement (not total recovery
but improvement) in 48 hr.s after a very good watering and draining,
then that isn't the problem.
--

Billy

[IMG] code is On

lavatera arborea in a container - drooping, drooping drooping [email protected] Gardening 2 04-07-2006 07:00 PM
Spathiphyllum, Peace Lily tvksi Gardening 13 03-11-2005 11:14 PM
Peace Lily advice Angela United Kingdom 5 05-02-2004 06:45 PM
Peace Lily Bill D Gardening 1 27-04-2003 10:44 PM
Peace Lily joe Ponds 13 27-02-2003 06:10 PM