Old 21-06-2014, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Nimblewill spreading throughout the yard

I thought I had this Nimblewill mostly out of my 1/2 acre lawn by digging, but this Sping/Now Summer it is popping up all over the yard. Don't know if birds or poltergeist did the dirty deed, but how can I control, or better yet, rid my yard of this weed. Any chemical means???
Old 23-06-2014, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Only thing I could find was "Tenacity", but haven't been aboe to find a place that sells the stuff, and the manufacturers website doesn't even show a place to get that info, only possible pathway I could find is "down" for some indeterminate length of time..
Old 23-06-2014, 05:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

" writes:

Only thing I could find was "Tenacity", but haven't been aboe to find
a place that sells the stuff, and the manufacturers website doesn't
even show a place to get that info, only possible pathway I could find
is "down" for some indeterminate length of time..

Seems to be on Amazon unless you are in California or Hawaii.

It has some good reviews. I think I'll try it, sounds like August would
be the right time of year here in NJ.

--
Dan Espen
Old 24-06-2014, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

I contacted the manufacturer of Tenacity and found a local John Deere Landscapes company that sold me an 8oz bottle for $110. 1 tsp will make up 2 gallons of spray, and that means I have enough to last me a lifetime. I will apply it tomorrow if the weather doesn't rain and I'll report back here if it works or not.

I did flinch a little at the price, but if it works it will keep my lawn from looking like I abandoned it. I do have a few weeds, but nothing as pervasive as the nimblewill and the other weeds do respond to "normal" weedkiller. I am too old to get down on my hands and knees to dig out all the numblewill, so the price was right.
Old 24-06-2014, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, June 23, 2014 6:59:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I contacted the manufacturer of Tenacity and found a local John Deere Landscapes company that sold me an 8oz bottle for $110. 1 tsp will make up 2 gallons of spray, and that means I have enough to last me a lifetime. I will apply it tomorrow if the weather doesn't rain and I'll report back here if it works or not.

I did flinch a little at the price, but if it works it will keep my lawn from looking like I abandoned it. I do have a few weeds, but nothing as pervasive as the nimblewill and the other weeds do respond to "normal" weedkiller. I am too old to get down on my hands and knees to dig out all the numblewill, so the price was right.

You could hire a few high school kids for the same price, speaking of hands & knees g

HB
Old 25-06-2014, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson writes:

On Monday, June 23, 2014 6:59:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I contacted the manufacturer of Tenacity and found a local John
Deere Landscapes company that sold me an 8oz bottle for $110. 1 tsp
will make up 2 gallons of spray, and that means I have enough to
last me a lifetime. I will apply it tomorrow if the weather doesn't
rain and I'll report back here if it works or not.

I did flinch a little at the price, but if it works it will keep my
lawn from looking like I abandoned it. I do have a few weeds, but
nothing as pervasive as the nimblewill and the other weeds do
respond to "normal" weedkiller. I am too old to get down on my
hands and knees to dig out all the numblewill, so the price was
right.

You could hire a few high school kids for the same price, speaking of hands & knees g

I gave the "pull it by hand" approach about 4 years before I gave up.
They really do come back. I don't think they came back from seed
either. Although Nimbleweed pulls easily, I think little pieces of the
roots can start new plants.

--
Dan Espen
Old 25-06-2014, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Well, I gotr out my regular sprayer this morning, and used it to apply some leftover regular weed killer so I could then mix up and spray the Tenacity starting from scratch.

As luck would have it, my 20+ year-old sprayer decided to bite the dust after about 5 minutes of applying the existing mixed up weed killer. The gears between the motor and the actual pump finally died. So, I took it apart and decided that it just wasn't worthwhile trying to find new gears of the right size/diameter and tooth pitch. So tonight I went to Menards and got a new battery-operated sprayer, and Tenacity goes on tomorrow morning if no rain in the weather forecast.

From the Tenacity instructions, it weill take 5-7 days to see results, so tune in next week to hear how things are going.
Old 25-06-2014, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

You could hire a few high school kids for the same price, speaking of hands & knees g ??

Re the suggestion to hire kids to do the work. Not around here, $15.00 per hour minimum.

Old 26-06-2014, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 3:50:28 PM UTC-7, wrote:
You could hire a few high school kids for the same price, speaking of hands & knees g ??

Re the suggestion to hire kids to do the work. Not around here, $15.00 per hour minimum.

Yikes! Time has sure changed. Mind saying where you are?

HB
Old 26-06-2014, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

I live in the western Chicago suburb recently voted 4th snobbiest city in the USA by the Movoto real estate folks, I think it was.

Real problem is all older folks, only 1 or 2 teenagers in 50 some-odd houses, and they have after-school and summer events structured by their "snobby" parents so working with their hands and knees getting dirty is not their future or even present.
Old 28-06-2014, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 18:54:40 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Well, I gotr out my regular sprayer this morning, and used it to apply some leftover regular weed killer so I could then mix up and spray the Tenacity starting from scratch.

As luck would have it, my 20+ year-old sprayer decided to bite the dust after about 5 minutes of applying the existing mixed up weed killer. The gears between the motor and the actual pump finally died. So, I took it apart and decided that it just wasn't worthwhile trying to find new gears of the right size/diameter and tooth pitch. So tonight I went to Menards and got a new battery-operated sprayer, and Tenacity goes on tomorrow morning if no rain in the weather forecast.

From the Tenacity instructions, it weill take 5-7 days to see results, so tune in next week to hear how things are going.

That weed does sound pernicious. I had some nutgrass / purple spurge a
few years back. That was really nasty, it spread by runners, tubers and
seed; nor does glyphoshpate (roundup) work on it. Fortunately there is a
specific chemical that works, called manage i think. It did the trick
though.

?-)

Old 28-06-2014, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 15:50:28 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

You could hire a few high school kids for the same price, speaking of hands & knees g ??

Re the suggestion to hire kids to do the work. Not around here, $15.00 per hour minimum.

WTH, that is well above minimum wage.

?-(