Old 12-09-2007, 05:06 PM posted to aus.gardens
col col is offline

Default White butterflies eating the vegi patch

The snails have been drowned in the beer traps. I now notice white
butterflies chopping away at the cos lettuce, cabbage and broccoli.

Is there a net of some kind that I can put over the vegi patch to keep
these butterflies out or is there any other method to keep them away
please.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:05 PM posted to aus.gardens

the moth/butterfly won't be doing the eating its grubs will do that,
we do a safari early in the morning and pick off any grubs we find,
also helps if you birds like butcher birds or noisy miners visiting
the garden they will pick off the grubs.

but as you say just throw and old mesh curtain or mossy net over the
whole of the plants to keep the butterfly from laying eggs.

a fried told me of this product that they swear by, as the tropical
fruit fly are pretty bad around here, i'm going to give it a try but
it supposed to help the plant become resistant to bug attack, that is
become un-appatising you might say, all natural product they say.

it's called 'vita-guard' and it is from 'nutri-tech solutions'
www.nutri-tech.com.au, i have no comments on the product at this
stage maybe at the end of the season i might?

but we find if you feed the soil well then the plants will be less
attractive to bugs as they have a better supply of all nutrients and
trace elements, to that end we use no man made fertilisers, relying on
green mulchng and kitchen scraps along with some wee water.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:06:48 GMT, col wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 13-09-2007, 03:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

col wrote:
The snails have been drowned in the beer traps. I now notice white
butterflies chopping away at the cos lettuce, cabbage and broccoli.

Is there a net of some kind that I can put over the vegi patch to keep
these butterflies out or is there any other method to keep them away
please.

I would suggest the bacterial product called DIPEL.
Its safe and works a treat. Its not a chemical, as its found in nature.
Its very effective.
I have allready started treating my cabbages at first sign of the
cabbage butterfly, and so far so good. Never any problem if you repeat
every few weeks.
Old 13-09-2007, 04:37 AM posted to aus.gardens

"col" wrote in message

The snails have been drowned in the beer traps. I now notice white
butterflies chopping away at the cos lettuce, cabbage and broccoli.

Is there a net of some kind that I can put over the vegi patch to keep
these butterflies out or is there any other method to keep them away
please.

These are cabbage moths, their grubs are very hungry and proliferate except
in very cold weather.

You can use nets to keep them out. You can use insecticide to kill them but
it will kill useful bugs and small creatures too.

You can use BT (Dipel) to kill them and it will not kill the other bugs.

David

Old 13-09-2007, 05:47 AM posted to aus.gardens

"col" wrote in message
The snails have been drowned in the beer traps. I now notice white
butterflies chopping away at the cos lettuce, cabbage and broccoli.

Is there a net of some kind that I can put over the vegi patch to keep
these butterflies out or is there any other method to keep them away
please.

The cabbage moths are supposed to be territorial according to something I
read years ago. I made up fake moths from old plastic milk cartons cut in a
moth shape and added black spots using a texta, I stuck a satay skewer
through them and then mounted the skewer into the top of bamboo stakes
around the crucifer family. It seemed to work.

Old 13-09-2007, 05:52 AM posted to aus.gardens
col col is offline

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:05:08 GMT, len garden
wrote:

the moth/butterfly won't be doing the eating its grubs will do that,
we do a safari early in the morning and pick off any grubs we find,
also helps if you birds like butcher birds or noisy miners visiting
the garden they will pick off the grubs.

but as you say just throw and old mesh curtain or mossy net over the
whole of the plants to keep the butterfly from laying eggs.

a fried told me of this product that they swear by, as the tropical
fruit fly are pretty bad around here, i'm going to give it a try but
it supposed to help the plant become resistant to bug attack, that is
become un-appatising you might say, all natural product they say.

Fruit fly is easy to kill. Place chlorene in one of those old orange
juice 2l containers mixed with water and a bit of vegimite. Only needs
to be about a quarter full in the bottle. Hang it to a try and presto,
fruit fly are wiped out. I have about 5 of these bottles hanging on
the fig tree. I do this about this time of year which lasts the whole
season without the need to go back and do it again.

I'll do as you suggest and get a mesh curtain and peg it down as where
we are on the coast of Perth it gets very windy.

it's called 'vita-guard' and it is from 'nutri-tech solutions'
www.nutri-tech.com.au, i have no comments on the product at this
stage maybe at the end of the season i might?

but we find if you feed the soil well then the plants will be less
attractive to bugs as they have a better supply of all nutrients and
trace elements, to that end we use no man made fertilisers, relying on
green mulchng and kitchen scraps along with some wee water.

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:06:48 GMT, col wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

Covering Vegi Patch with plastic info skinty United Kingdom 2 09-08-2007 09:28 PM
vegi filter btinternet Ponds 14 23-04-2004 03:05 PM
vegi filter btinternet Ponds 0 17-04-2004 09:08 PM
Vegi plants in pots?? Gardening 6 15-05-2003 07:56 PM
Vegi Gardens moya Edible Gardening 16 05-04-2003 05:20 PM