Old 29-05-2006, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Kentucky Barrels

Default Plant Bamboo in a barrel planter?

I am new to bamboo. I would like to know if it is possible to plant it
in a half whiskey barrel planter. It is 24 inches in diameter at the
top, 21 inches in diameter at the bottom and 18 inches deep. I am
thinking this would prevent it from spreading.
Old 30-05-2006, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Travis M.

"Kentucky Barrels" wrote in message

I am new to bamboo. I would like to know if it is possible to
plant
it in a half whiskey barrel planter. It is 24 inches in
diameter at
the top, 21 inches in diameter at the bottom and 18 inches
deep. I
am thinking this would prevent it from spreading.

Only for awhile. Best to get barrier from a garden center or a
boo seller near you. Sources can be found at
http://www.americanbamboo.org/Specie...ctSources.html
scroll down about half way to see "Plant and Product Sources
USA".

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 30-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Barrels
I am new to bamboo. I would like to know if it is possible to plant it
in a half whiskey barrel planter. It is 24 inches in diameter at the
top, 21 inches in diameter at the bottom and 18 inches deep. I am
thinking this would prevent it from spreading.
It is common to plant bamboo in containers. Containerised bamboo is considered a very fashionable accessory in your garden here in Britain.
For example, here is an article on it:
http://www.mjbanks.co.uk/containers.htm
They are more work than bamboos grown in the ground. Some varieties are more suitable than others.

If you were thinking of sinking the wooden barrel into the ground as long term containment for bamboo in a shrub border, that probably wouldn't be the best way of doing it.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo

Figure on an above the ground container taking temeratures 20 degrees
colder than the rhizomes in the ground come winter.
In other words winterkill is more likely in a container unless you
protect it somehow.