Old 07-07-2008, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato Horn Worms

Besides pulling them off when you see them. what's a good way to keep them
from cominig back? I don't really want to use any manufactured
insecticides. Is there something else I can do?

TIA
Tonia

Old 07-07-2008, 02:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Tonia Fischer wrote:
Besides pulling them off when you see them. what's a good way to
keep
them from cominig back? I don't really want to use any manufactured
insecticides. Is there something else I can do?

Put a few in a jar of water and let set for a day, then shake like
crazy to break them down into a liquid mix. Strain and spay on the
tomato vines. Works for me.

Tom J

Old 07-07-2008, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Tonia Fischer" wrote:

Besides pulling them off when you see them. what's a good way to keep them
from cominig back? I don't really want to use any manufactured
insecticides. Is there something else I can do?

TIA
Tonia

BT spray. It's organic.
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein
Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 22:17:59 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Tonia Fischer" wrote:

Besides pulling them off when you see them. what's a good way to keep them
from cominig back? I don't really want to use any manufactured
insecticides. Is there something else I can do?

TIA
Tonia

BT spray. It's organic.

So are Cardinals. Funny thing, two years ago I noticed a pair of
cardinals working through the tomatoes like crazy. They repeated this
last year. Upon investigation, they were killing young hornworms like
there was no tomorrow. Some they were eating, it appeared, but most
they were shaking, pecking and crushing and leaving. I've no idea
about any of this. It was a Good Thing at any rate.

Charlie

Cardinals can be killers. We did wildlife rehabbing (mostly birds) for
about 15 years. I learned the hard way to never house fledgeling
cardinals with other birds in a flight cage.

The killed and half-ate two fledgeling doves before I learned.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Tonia Fischer" wrote:

Besides pulling them off when you see them. what's a good way to keep
them
from cominig back? I don't really want to use any manufactured
insecticides. Is there something else I can do?

TIA
Tonia

BT spray. It's organic.

Aren't there different kinds for different worms?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Marie Dodge" wrote in message

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Tonia Fischer" wrote:

Besides pulling them off when you see them. what's a good way to keep
them
from cominig back? I don't really want to use any manufactured
insecticides. Is there something else I can do?

TIA
Tonia

BT spray. It's organic.

Aren't there different kinds for different worms?

--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein

I'm just looking to get rid of these. Pulled three from my tomato plant
(only have one and its on the patio planted in a container), But, it is
about 4 foot tall and round. Well, I picked off three more tonight. When I
lived in CA, I had 6 tomato plants; I remember picking off the worms then
feeding them to the birds. The only birds I have here in Las Vegas are
doves and pigeons. Plus I had to move my plants up onto the patio because
the sun was literally frying them. I never knew that tomato, or hook worms,
would eat green pepper plants. Well, I came out one morning and my pepper
plant was damn near gone. I picked a worm off of that was as big around as
my pinky finger, but was like 4 inches long. BTW he ate a whole green
pepper I was growing and waiting until it got a little bigger,

I hear ppl always talk about home insecticides that are made from soap.
Would this help, and what do you use? Also, what is BT spray?

TIA
Tonia

Old 07-07-2008, 08:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Tonia Fischer" wrote:

Besides pulling them off when you see them. what's a good way to keep
them
from cominig back? I don't really want to use any manufactured
insecticides. Is there something else I can do?

TIA
Tonia

BT spray. It's organic.

Aren't there different kinds for different worms?

Not from what I've read about it. BT is supposed to kill ALL larval
insect forms. There are water dunks to control baby mosquitos even.