A Gardening forum. GardenBanter.co.uk

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » GardenBanter.co.uk forum » Gardening Discussions » Edible Gardening
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Green catapillars eating my basil and lettuce leaves.



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25-07-2008, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30
Default Green catapillars eating my basil and lettuce leaves.

Green catapillars are eating my basil and lettuce leaves. I haven't
usd any pesticides. What are they and any suggestions? I'm in DC
zone 6 I believe. I lost the link to the zone chart.

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol

Thanks,
Wil
Ads
  #2  
Old 25-07-2008, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 84
Default Green catapillars eating my basil and lettuce leaves.

"Wil" wrote

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning.


I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol


you fool! ;(
they will multiply, get hardy
and they will find where there is good eatin!
prolly the same place you pick

  #3  
Old 25-07-2008, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 340
Default Green catapillars eating my basil and lettuce leaves.

In article
,
Wil wrote:

Green catapillars are eating my basil and lettuce leaves. I haven't
usd any pesticides. What are they and any suggestions? I'm in DC
zone 6 I believe. I lost the link to the zone chart.

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol

Thanks,
Wil


Hmmm ...

I am no expert, I have found on occasion what I think is commonly called
a Cabbage Worm. http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/BugReview/cabbageworm.html
The one I found on my plants look just like the one in the link.

Like you I have never found many of them. In my tiny garden I have never
found more than ten of the big bugs in one season. I look for signs of
stripped stems. Then I start to look under the leaves of the plants
early in the morning or late at night. If I find one ... sorry no
offence ... I am not as kind to the bugs as you are, I toss the leaf the
the bug is on to the ground and smash the poor little green bug with the
heal of my right boot.

When I first saw one. I put the bug with a three foot stem with the
leaves in a five gallon bucket mesh cover. The next day all the leaves
were gone and half the stem gone. From one little bug!

If you were like me, just one bug here or there.
So I say in my unprofessional opinion -- Give the bug a boot!

If you have an infestation of the bugs, I do not know?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
  #4  
Old 26-07-2008, 07:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 440
Default Green catapillars eating my basil and lettuce leaves.


"Wil" wrote in message
...
Green catapillars are eating my basil and lettuce leaves. I haven't
usd any pesticides. What are they and any suggestions? I'm in DC
zone 6 I believe. I lost the link to the zone chart.

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol

Thanks,
Wil


The best thing for grubs is BT (bacillus thuringiensus) (spelling?) also known
as dipel and probably other names. It is non toxic and specific to grubs.

David


  #5  
Old 26-07-2008, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30
Default Green catapillars eating my basil and lettuce leaves.

On Jul 26, 2:39*am, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"Wil" wrote in message

...

Green catapillars are eating my basil and lettuce leaves. *I haven't
usd any pesticides. *What are they and any suggestions? *I'm in DC
zone 6 I believe. *I lost the link to the zone chart.


I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. *I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol


Thanks,
Wil


The best thing for grubs is BT (bacillus thuringiensus) (spelling?) also known
as dipel and probably other names. *It is non toxic and specific to grubs.

David


By best for them do you mean like health food is best for human? lol

BT, is this an insecticide? Is it liquid to be sprayed on the
plants? Is it powder or grainular to be spread on the soil? Is it
toxic to human? Can I eat my vegies shortly after application? I'm
very new to all this.

Thanks,
WIl
  #6  
Old 26-07-2008, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30
Default Green catapillars eating my basil and lettuce leaves.

On Jul 25, 5:55*pm, "Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:
"Wil" wrote

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. *
I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol


you fool! *;(
they will multiply, get hardy
and they will find where there is good eatin!
prolly the same place you pick *


lol I put them very very far from my garden. I just thinking that
these buggers will soon beome pretty butterflies that will come back
and polinate my gardens.

Wil
  #7  
Old 26-07-2008, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 30
Default Green catapillars eating my basil and lettuce leaves.

On Jul 25, 5:59*pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

*Wil wrote:
Green catapillars are eating my basil and lettuce leaves. *I haven't
usd any pesticides. *What are they and any suggestions? *I'm in DC
zone 6 I believe. *I lost the link to the zone chart.


I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. *I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol


Thanks,
Wil


Hmmm ...

I am no expert, I have found on occasion what I think is commonly called
a Cabbage Worm.http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/BugReview/cabbageworm.html
The one I found on my plants look just like the one in the link.

Like you I have never found many of them. In my tiny garden I have never
found more than ten of the big bugs in one season. I look for signs of
stripped stems. Then I start to look under the leaves of the plants
early in the morning or late at night. If I find one ... sorry no
offence ... I am not as kind to the bugs as you are, I toss the leaf the
the bug is on to the ground and smash the poor little green bug with the
heal of my right boot.

When I first saw one. I put the bug with a three foot stem with the
leaves in a five gallon bucket mesh cover. The next day all the leaves
were gone and half the stem gone. From one little bug!

If you were like me, just one bug here or there.
So I say in my unprofessional opinion -- Give the bug a boot!

If you have an infestation of the bugs, I do not know?

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.


non taken, to each his own. See my response to Steve Young also
please.

Wil
  #8  
Old 26-07-2008, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 366
Default Green catapillars eating my basil and lettuce leaves.

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 06:01:46 -0700 (PDT), Wil
wrote:

On Jul 25, 5:55*pm, "Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:
"Wil" wrote

I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. *
I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol


you fool! *;(
they will multiply, get hardy
and they will find where there is good eatin!
prolly the same place you pick *


lol I put them very very far from my garden. I just thinking that
these buggers will soon beome pretty butterflies that will come back
and polinate my gardens.

And then lay eggs for more caterpillars.
  #9  
Old 27-07-2008, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 440
Default Green catapillars eating my basil and lettuce leaves.


"Wil" wrote in message
...
On Jul 26, 2:39 am, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"Wil" wrote in message

...

Green catapillars are eating my basil and lettuce leaves. I haven't
usd any pesticides. What are they and any suggestions? I'm in DC
zone 6 I believe. I lost the link to the zone chart.


I found one green cat eating the leaves of my basil a couple of days
ago and found one eating my lettuce leaves this morning. I took them
out and put them on weeds by the fence hoping they'll eat those. lol


Thanks,
Wil


The best thing for grubs is BT (bacillus thuringiensus) (spelling?) also

known
as dipel and probably other names. It is non toxic and specific to grubs.

David


By best for them do you mean like health food is best for human? lol

BT, is this an insecticide? Is it liquid to be sprayed on the
plants? Is it powder or grainular to be spread on the soil? Is it
toxic to human? Can I eat my vegies shortly after application? I'm
very new to all this.

Thanks,
WIl

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

David


 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2004-2014 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.