Old 17-03-2016, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default "cloning" tomatoes

I'd like to try propagating tomatoes with cuttings . I have some rooting
hormone powder , but am unsure of how big the plants need to be , and what
to cut off to try this . Anyone been there and done that ?
I have seedlings about 4" tall , with 3-5 leaves . I have tried this with
a cutting from a self-rooted rose and it seems to beworking for that -
leaves haven't wilted and it appears to have a bit of new growth . That one
has been coverd with a baggie to retain moisture so I don't have to mist it
4 times a day ...
--
Snag

Old 17-03-2016, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

I'd like to try propagating tomatoes with cuttings . I have some rooting
hormone powder , but am unsure of how big the plants need to be , and what
to cut off to try this . Anyone been there and done that ?

Tomatoes root at the drop of a hat: Stick any size cutting in dirt; keep
it damp, stand back. New growth means they've struck.
Since they'll root anywhere along the stem, you don't need to worry about
leaf nodes, etc.

Old 18-03-2016, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Gary Woods wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

I'd like to try propagating tomatoes with cuttings . I have some
rooting hormone powder , but am unsure of how big the plants need to
be , and what to cut off to try this . Anyone been there and done
that ?

Tomatoes root at the drop of a hat: Stick any size cutting in dirt;
keep it damp, stand back. New growth means they've struck.
Since they'll root anywhere along the stem, you don't need to worry
about leaf nodes, etc.

Groovy ! So one of my Amish Paste tomatoes is taller than the rest and
it's now minus one leaf . I clipped it close to the stem , wetted it ,
dipped it , and now it's in a starter cell .

--
Snag