Old 05-08-2016, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Last year's peas

The remainder of last year's Red Rippers and WhipPoorWill peas are cooking
with some ham from last night for tonight's dinner . Fresh cornbread is in
order ...
Got RR's and Purple Hulls planted this year , we'll see how they do .
--
Snag

Old 05-08-2016, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/5/2016 12:33 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
The remainder of last year's Red Rippers and WhipPoorWill peas are cooking
with some ham from last night for tonight's dinner . Fresh cornbread is in
order ...
Got RR's and Purple Hulls planted this year , we'll see how they do .

Package and send sample. When my Dad was on strike back in the forties
and fifties we lived on peas, beans, rice (could buy a "barrel" of rice
for two bucks back then)* and cornbread, the real kind, no sugar at all.
Still eat all that stuff and taught wife and kids how good it is, we
used it a lot as a young couple with two kids if the money flow was
slow. Can't get much better Terry. In the place of ham we often fried up
some bacon and tossed into the beans.

*Rice used to be sold by the barrel, a barrel of rice was 44 lbs IIRC. I
grew up in the rice farming part of Texas, worked the levee's a lot,
flagged crop dusters, all for two bits an hour, also in the warehouse,
tossing "barrels." By the fifties there were no real barrels anymore,
just cloth bags. I could take a "barrel" of rice every three months for
free. Nowadays we eat brown rice, a little longer to cook but has all
the minerals and vitamins. White rice is polished in the factory that
bagged the rice for grocery stores, all the good stuff is turned into
something else that I can no longer remember. You sure stirred up some
good memories, most of the folks I knew back then, including many at my
age then, are gone to their reward. I can picture them sitting around a
big table with rice, cornbread, buttermilk, etc. Laughing about it all.

George