Old 07-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Fleemo

Default Avoiding Last Year's Blueberry Blunder

This time last year, I planted two blueberry bushes in half barrels.
I ammended the soil with granular soil sulfar to reduce the PH, and
continually top dressed the soil with coffee grounds. After a while,
the soil took on a pungent sour smell, the leaves became brick red and
brittle, and both plants died (at different times). The folks at the
nursery were no help in determining what happened. My best guess was
that perhaps the coffee grounds had formed a crust on the surface of
the soil, and created an anerobic soil condition which killed the
plants.

I want to try blueberries again this year. Should I dispose of the
soil in the half barrels and start fresh, perhaps with a commercial
Azelea mix? Any other tips to share?
Old 08-02-2003, 01:33 AM
samuel l crowe

Sounds like the soil soured from to much water, therefore I would dump it
and start over
be sure you have good drainage and don't over water.
Happy gardening

--
Sam
Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

om...

Old 08-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Dwayne

You can make a good soil by mixing 1/4 peat moss, 1/2 dirt, and 1/4 compost
to begin with. I also like to add a little sand to help with drainage. Then
add the azelea food. I have used coffee grounds, but I made sure they were
dry before putting them on anything. Other wise they are quick to mold.
When they are dry, sprinkle them on loosely, or they will still mold. They
need plenty of water, every other day during dry weather, but dont want
their feet wet. Good luck, Dwayne

om...

Old 08-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Fleemo

"Dwayne" wrote in message ...
You can make a good soil by mixing 1/4 peat moss, 1/2 dirt, and 1/4 compost
to begin with. I also like to add a little sand to help with drainage. Then
add the azelea food. I have used coffee grounds, but I made sure they were
dry before putting them on anything. Other wise they are quick to mold.
When they are dry, sprinkle them on loosely, or they will still mold. They
need plenty of water, every other day during dry weather, but dont want
their feet wet. Good luck, Dwayne

Someone suggested I use the following formula for the potting mix:

• 2 parts "commercial soil amendment with moistening agent added"
• 1 part Perlite
• 1 part Vermiculite
• 1 part sand

Does that sound like a good recipe for healthy blueberries?
Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
Dwayne

I ordered and planted 6 blueberry plants a little over a year ago. The two
most important things you need to consider is that the drainage must be very
good, and the pH should be between 5 and 6 (even a little lower probably
wouldnt hurt). The company I ordered from in Arkansas recomment peat moss
for the pH and drainage.

I havent used the recipe you included, but if it will provide you with what
they need, try it.

Dwayne

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...