Old 02-04-2008, 12:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Fungus gnats

I have an outbreak of fungus gnats in my indoor plants. Some of these
plants are tomato, peppers, etc to be transplanted into the outdoor
garden. Other plants are houseplants. The cactus plants are not
infected, I think because these are watered once a month and the soil
is dry most of the time. What kinds of control (or better yet
elimination) are available that are safe and practical for indoor use
and for edible plants? I do not have any pets nor children. TIA
Old 02-04-2008, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Sprinkle some cinnamon over the top of the soil. They'll disappear within
seconds and won't come back. Try it, it works!

Val

Old 02-04-2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote in
:

I have an outbreak of fungus gnats in my indoor plants.
Some of these plants are tomato, peppers, etc to be
transplanted into the outdoor garden. Other plants are
houseplants. The cactus plants are not infected, I think
because these are watered once a month and the soil is dry
most of the time. What kinds of control (or better yet
elimination) are available that are safe and practical for
indoor use and for edible plants? I do not have any pets
nor children. TIA

ground cinnamon. sprinkle liberally (no place for
conservatives hereg)
or, if you have an outbreak of Asian Ladybugs, they'll eat
fungus gnat larvae.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 03-04-2008, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Val wrote:
Sprinkle some cinnamon over the top of the soil. They'll disappear within
seconds and won't come back. Try it, it works!

But, to where do the disappear?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Pennyaline wrote:
Val wrote:
Sprinkle some cinnamon over the top of the soil. They'll disappear
within seconds and won't come back. Try it, it works!

But, to where do the disappear?

D'oh!

"To where do they..." They!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have an outbreak of fungus gnats in my indoor plants. Some of these
plants are tomato, peppers, etc to be transplanted into the outdoor
garden. Other plants are houseplants. The cactus plants are not
infected, I think because these are watered once a month and the soil
is dry most of the time. What kinds of control (or better yet
elimination) are available that are safe and practical for indoor use
and for edible plants? I do not have any pets nor children. TIA

re "I do not have any pets nor children"

Your health is also important!
Some of my thoughts on the toipic.
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/spring.html
Just my thoughts I guess.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have seen great numbers of gnats on what I thought was fruiting bodies of
Armillaria Root Rots 3 years after tree was cut.
Here is an article on Armillaria Root Rots.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/ARM.html

Old 03-04-2008, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have tried the cinnamon trick, learnd from an earlier post in this
newsgroup, and I can firmly attest it has no impact on my gnats whatsoever.
They happily crawl all over even a thick layer of cinnamon, and their
population seems to be as healthy and large as ever.

Maybe yor gnats are a different species.

"Val" wrote in message
Sprinkle some cinnamon over the top of the soil. They'll disappear within
seconds and won't come back. Try it, it works!

Val
"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have an outbreak of fungus gnats in my indoor plants. Some of these
plants are tomato, peppers, etc to be transplanted into the outdoor
garden. Other plants are houseplants. The cactus plants are not
infected, I think because these are watered once a month and the soil
is dry most of the time. What kinds of control (or better yet
elimination) are available that are safe and practical for indoor use
and for edible plants? I do not have any pets nor children. TIA

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Detecting Fungus gnats Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 16-09-2004 12:21 AM
fungus gnats on my basil Eddie G United Kingdom 4 17-09-2003 10:02 AM
fungus gnats on my basil Eddie G United Kingdom 0 17-09-2003 02:16 AM
Fungus Gnats - Tips? Scott Gardening 8 28-06-2003 11:44 AM
Finally a use for fungus gnats Bob Walsh Orchids 0 08-05-2003 10:32 PM