Old 25-06-2009, 09:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tums fo calcium

I have Tums and I understand my peppers love calcium Tums are mostly
calcium. I've heard you can grind up the Tums and mix it with water for the
peppers. Sounds reason able. Anyone do this? How about other calcium
tablets?

Paul

Old 25-06-2009, 11:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook wrote:
I have Tums and I understand my peppers love calcium Tums are mostly
calcium. I've heard you can grind up the Tums and mix it with water
for the peppers. Sounds reason able. Anyone do this? How about
other calcium tablets?

Paul

Tums contain calcium carbonate but this would have to be the most expensive
fertiliser you have ever bought. Very roughly you add lime (calcium
carbonate) or gypsum (calcium sulphate) at a handfull per square metre
(yard). How many tums does it take to make a handfull? How much would that
cost? You can buy a 5kg (10lb) bag of lime or gypsum for a few dollars and
bigger bags at less per kg.

If you really want to grow good veges look at the soil as a whole rather
than focus on one element. For example if your soil pH was already over 7
you wouldn't want to add calcium carbonate which will raise it even further.
Unless your peppers are showing signs of calcium deficiency I wouldn't worry
about it. It's a question of finding balance not of finding a magic
ingredient.

David

Old 25-06-2009, 12:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 01:53:34 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

I have Tums and I understand my peppers love calcium Tums are mostly
calcium. I've heard you can grind up the Tums and mix it with water for the
peppers. Sounds reason able. Anyone do this? How about other calcium
tablets?

Paul

A little crushed up drywall or plaster of Paris works too. Or, put an
eggshell or piece of sidewalk chalk in a blender with a cup of water.
For magnesium, I use epsom salts (1 T per 2 gallon water) on my
pepper plants every 3 weeks.
Old 25-06-2009, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

I have Tums and I understand my peppers love calcium Tums are mostly
calcium. I've heard you can grind up the Tums and mix it with water for
the
peppers. Sounds reason able. Anyone do this? How about other calcium
tablets?

A little crushed up drywall or plaster of Paris works too. Or, put an
eggshell or piece of sidewalk chalk in a blender with a cup of water.
For magnesium,

He's looking for calcium, not magnesium. I think it's very silly to be
messing up a blender or wasting time and energy not to mention wasting
building products when any gardening department sells huge bags of granular
lime for real cheap.... granular is so much neater and is time release.

I use epsom salts (1 T per 2 gallon water) on my pepper plants.

Why... do your peppers have hemorrhiods?

Old 25-06-2009, 02:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention I am growing these in pots. They occupy a 22 inch and
an 18 inch pot filled with new potting soil. The leaves do show signs of
calcium deficiency as shown in various pictures I have seen. The leaves
tend to be crinkled and often slightly malformed.

I already have the Tums, I just did not kow how much to use. I know I can
buy bone meal and other forms of calcium at the store. I have no source for
gypsum other than to raid a construction site.

Paul

Old 25-06-2009, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

Calcium deficiency is usually a problem in the transport of calcium from
the soil to the fruit. Over watering, and over fertilizing are usually
the problem. I suspect that you over fertilized with chemferts, or over
watered (blocking oxygen). Make sure you have good drainage, and only
use manure, fish emulsion, or an organic fertilizer that is no more than
10-10-10 (preferably a quarter that).

Also see:
http://books.google.com/books?id=_u2...PA482&dq=calci
um+uptake+in+plants,+gardening&source=bl&ots=G7wEY tLl4O&sig=UZP5PqTk1W0Ug
NB7Yvdthewptag&hl=en&ei=KZ9DSu3BL4WqsgO874Vk&sa=X& oi=book_result&ct=resul
t&resnum=1
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 25-06-2009, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 06:41:14 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"

I forgot to mention I am growing these in pots. They occupy a 22 inch and
an 18 inch pot filled with new potting soil. The leaves do show signs of
calcium deficiency as shown in various pictures I have seen. The leaves
tend to be crinkled and often slightly malformed.

I use 1/4 the fertilizer dose for potted plants, particularly when
using inorganic fertilizers. Fish emulsion is another good choice,
assuming the pepper plants are outdoors.
Old 25-06-2009, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message

Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

All I have is Scott's miracle grow GP fertilizer. They've gotten a light
feeding once a week. The drainage is quite good as I get a trickle out from
the bottom of the pot. I am watering the peppers less lately, about every
other day. I'll see what the garden center has.

Paul

Old 25-06-2009, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 06:41:14 -0700, "Paul M. Cook"

I forgot to mention I am growing these in pots. They occupy a 22 inch and
an 18 inch pot filled with new potting soil. The leaves do show signs of
calcium deficiency as shown in various pictures I have seen. The leaves
tend to be crinkled and often slightly malformed.

I use 1/4 the fertilizer dose for potted plants, particularly when
using inorganic fertilizers. Fish emulsion is another good choice,
assuming the pepper plants are outdoors.

If that's the case then I must be over fertilizing. They get about a half
pint of Miracle Grow every week. I'll try the emulsion if I can find it.

Paul

Old 25-06-2009, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

What is the recommend interval for feeding? With fish emulsion, it is
every two weeks and that is 5-1-1 or less. Even farmers will over
fertilize, they consider it a form of crop insurance, but it doesn't
work that way. When I looked up growing peppers, the recommendation was
for 3 - 4 tons of chicken manure/acre. That works out to 18
lbs/100sq.ft. and then that again half way through the season. I plan to
use less.

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dm...it/peppers.htm
Peppers enjoy an well-amended soil that contains plenty of organic
matter, supplemented with a balanced fertilizer or better yet, one with
slightly higher nitrogen and phosphorous levels. Place in an area that
will receive the most sun and plant 18 inches apart with rows 3 feet
apart.
------
http://www.sfc.ucdavis.edu/Research/chili.html
Chicken manure (three to four tons per acre) is custom applied a week or
more prior to listing.
--------

100 sq.ft. = 0.0022956841 acre.
8,000#/acre = 18.37#/ 100 sq.ft. Side dress with 11.5#/100
sq.ft.

Old 25-06-2009, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Paul M. Cook wrote:
[...]

As others have said calcium deficiency is often related to watering.

If you use the tums, assuming they are 100% calcium carbonate, grind them up
finely and sprinkle about a rounded teaspoon in each pot. Mixing with water
won't do much because it is only slightly soluble in water at neutral pH.

Bone meal is approximately calcium phosphate which is good in that it
supplies phosphorus as well as calcium but it is less soluble and will take
longer to work especially if it isn't finely ground.

David