Old 20-03-2005, 11:08 AM
T&D

Default Would like my Lavendar to bloom

What does it take to get a Lavender plant to bloom.

It is planted in full sun, and was in bloom when I planted it. In fact I
have two in the same area and neither one will bloom.

Thank you in advance !

Old 20-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Phisherman

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:08:22 GMT, "T&D" wrote:

What does it take to get a Lavender plant to bloom.

It is planted in full sun, and was in bloom when I planted it. In fact I
have two in the same area and neither one will bloom.

Thank you in advance !

Patience. Resist the temptation to use fertilizer and keep it on the
dry side. Basically, it prefers some neglect. Mine blooms in June.
Old 20-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Beth Pierce

Plants usually don't bloom because they don't have enough phosphorous
in them. If you will look on the back of a plant food container, there
are three numbers: 15-30-15. These three numbers represent
Nitrogen-Phosphorous-Potash and each one is representative of what a
plant needs. If you want more leaves, get a plant food with a higher
first number, such as 30-15-15. If you want more flowers, get a plant
food with a higher middle number, such as 15-30-15. If you want more
fruit, get a plant food with a higher last number, such as 15-15-30.
The most common (and overused) type of food you will need for your
lavender is Miracle Grow, which is 15-30-15. Once you apply it, watch
out--that thing will never stop blooming. But don't use it on your
foliage or it will force them to bloom too.

Old 20-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Phisherman

Be careful with lavendar (and many other herbs). If you must apply
fertilizer, I recommend fish emulsion, diluted more than the
directions recommend. I have killed lavendar using fertilizer.

Old 21-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Phisherman writes:

| Be careful with lavendar (and many other herbs). If you must apply
| fertilizer, I recommend fish emulsion, diluted more than the
| directions recommend. I have killed lavendar using fertilizer.

Yes, too much nitrogen (and water) can make plants grow lushly
and not bloom. Lavender is a Mediterranean plant, and is adapted
to poor soil and fairly dry summers (such as in much of California).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Beth Pierce

Good point, but I'm sure it also depends on the ph of the soil, too. I
did mention the word "overused" regarding Miracle Grow. That stuff is
used for everything and all the time and it can kill plants if
overused. I do much prefer fish emulsion for maintenance once the
plant has started a regular season of blooming after I have jumpstarted
it with a 15-30-15 fertilizer.