Old 10-11-2002, 11:50 PM
Keith Carlson

Default Copper sulfate for tree roots in sewer line

Went downstairs this morning to start laundry only to find standing water in
the laundry room... sewer line backed up. I'm almost certain it's tree roots
in the line, as it backed up just this past Feb and the plumber cleaned out
a mass of tree roots from the line.

I did a lot of reading of old NG posts about this problem, and there seems
to be a lot of people who've had success using copper sulfate to keep roots
from growing back.

So, I plan on renting a roto-rooter type sewer line auger tomorrow to clean
out the pipe, and then start a routine of copper sulfate down the drain
twice a year.

QUESTION: Has anyone here has ever seen detrimental effects on the tree(s)
from using this product? The label on the stuff says it's safe for trees
and shrubs, but I'm just a little wary. Not that I have a lot of choice..
can't have the sewer backing up, and I can't afford a few thousand $$$ to
have the sewer line dug up and replaced.

TIA
Keith C.

--
How do you tell when you're out