Old 25-05-2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Default Lockhartia oerstdetii

Hi everyone!
Not sure about the species spelling.
I've had this plant for about 3 or 5 years now. It had never really
done well for me. It'd throw out a couple stems, thin but not floppy.
It would lose the oldest ones at about the same rate. I kept it
because it looks cool ( plus it cost twenty dollars g ).
Over this past fall/winter I began moving this Lockhartia to brighter
light, and repotted it into osmunda. It looked better, the newest
stems were slightly thicker, but still no flowers. I know it's mature
'cause it was in flower when I got it.
I kept it on the dry side after repotting until I saw some growth
activity, then watered as needed. I used plain water because I've read
osmunda doesn't need additional fertilizer. After a couple months the
newer stems looked ... better, more 'alive'? - something. I also give
it a quick squirt from the sprayer every other morning.
Well ....
Lo and Behold - two stems have buds!!!!!! (if I seem out of breath
it's because I'm too out of shape to be jumping up and down like this
G).
If you're new to orchids remember not to be too quick to give up on a
particular plant, keep trying to find the right spot for it. I waited
four years to get flowers from a Christieara and now it's on its third
spike this year! I have a Phal I got as a seedling and it's hardly
half again as big as when I got it 2 or 3 years ago ( maybe it's a
dwarf? g). I'd tell you what its name is but I lost the tag. [Hey -
maybe that's it! It doesn't know who it is and has no motivation.
I'll try making one up and see if it helps G].
Anyway, if it's green keep trying!
And excerise regularly! lol
Bob Campoli - Philadelphia, Pa

Old 25-05-2006, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

How cool is that? I love to be surprised like that!

Diana

Old 26-05-2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea

That's great. Does it look anything like mine? (check abpo) I picked up one
about 4 years ago and it has bloomed for the past 3 years. Trouble is I
don't know what Lockhartia it is. The person I got it from didn't even know
it was a Lockhartia. Anyone?
Gary

ups.com...

Old 29-05-2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Hi Gary!
I can't look on abpo. I tried a couple time but get lost and confused.
I'll try again. According to Rebecca Northen (Miniature Orchids), L.
oerstedii has short leaves making a very narrow stem. The complicated
2cm flowers come singly or in pairs. They are elongated. It is native
from Mexico to Panama A dainty plant. She says it can flower
throughout the year - that'll be cool.
According to her "Home Orchid Growing" it is the Lockhartia most often
seen in collections.
If I can get to your picture, I'll let you know if it looks like mine.
If the flowers are round then it's not L. oerstedii.

Old 29-05-2006, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
John Varigos

For those who can't access abpo, all photos posted are on the web at
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/cgi/c...ctures.orchids

Just enter "alt.binaries.pictures.orchids" in the "Search For" field, choose
how many images you want from the drop down menu and hit "start searching".

Viola!!

Cheers

John

ps.com...

Old 31-05-2006, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc

Hi Gary!
Thanks to John I was able to easily and quickly find your picture. The
flowers look the same as mine, but the leaves look bigger.
IMHO I would guess it is a Lockhartia, perhaps even oerstedii.
Bob Campoli
PS - Thanks again John for the link to abpo. I added it to my
favorites.