Pond depth

Old 17-09-2003, 11:42 PM
A Davis

Default Pond depth

Hello All

My pond is 5 feet in diameter, with a maximum depth of 22 inches.
This seemed to be the sort of size indicated on my pond liner instructions.

However, I recently read that a pond of depth less than 3 feet is
insufficient for fish to survive the Winter when the Pond freezes.

The pond was created this year, it contains 6 goldfish.
Please could anyone advise?

Regards Al.

Old 18-09-2003, 04:42 PM
A Davis

Gregory Young wrote:-
What zone/location are you in

Somerset, England.

Regards Al

Old 18-09-2003, 07:32 PM
diamond

"A Davis" wrote in message
Gregory Young wrote:-
What zone/location are you in

Somerset, England.

Regards Al

Should be ok, we don't usually get harsh winters down here.

I'm in Somerset too!

Old 19-09-2003, 10:23 PM
A Davis

diamond wrote:-
Should be ok I'm in Somerset too!
I've recently moved to Bridgwater.

Yes, hopefully the fish will survive, but I had considered covering the Pond
when it's frosty.
Perhaps this would be unnecessary.

Regards Al.

Old 25-04-2011, 05:49 PM

I know you can't change the depth of pond as its build a year ago. But You can do one thing, you can plant some plants which can give worming in your pond to fishes.
Pond Kits

Pond Newbie need urgent help!!! John Ponds 9 15-11-2006 05:59 AM
The 'Aquascape System' has the be the WORST pond system outthere ~ jan Ponds 14 15-11-2006 05:26 AM
farm pond help! Eddie Ponds 1 31-03-2003 05:56 AM
Pond development update (longish) and a question Tony Sanders Ponds 1 26-03-2003 10:20 PM
Hello Group Cam Ponds 31 19-03-2003 04:08 AM