Old 25-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Chumley

Default Wife worried about depth of pond and little grandkids and neighbor kids falling in

I would like to weld a rebar
grid (4-6 inch spacing) together and
place it on the plant shelf so you couldn't see it really unless you are
right on top of it. I would make it in sections
so I could remove it for maintenence. It would satisfy my wife's anxiety

know the grid was there and the water would
effectively be only 6 inches deep in case one of our grandkids or neighbor
kids fell in. We have no fence and our yard
is open to a public greenbelt area which kids use all the time to play. Is
this a viable alternative? Should I paint it with
epoxy paint to keep the rusting metal from fouling the water? Would the
rusting metal harm the fish or plants?
Sorry for the long post, but I need some help with this one. Thank you
kindly for time and thoughts.

Chumley

Old 26-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Michael Lee

This is a very valid concern. We took our granddaughter to Water Babies so
she would learn how to float if she fell in. When she did, and I think it is
inevitable that they will because a pond is so attractive, she bobbed to the
surface and rolled over on her back, just like she was trained to do. Her
mom snatched her out, she wiped her face and said "I'm never going to do
that again, grandma!" There where not tears, no trama. That moment made it
well worth the cost of the lessons.

You have a major problem with it not being fenced. I think any lawyer would
advise you to fill it in because it is what the legalese call and
"attractive nuisance" and lawsuit fodder.

--
Shalom!
Mike -n- Sue Clymer

Old 26-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Janet

Well being a pool and a pond owner I would suggest talking to your
insurance company. They are really good at knowing what the local laws are
and how to intrepet them. Ours suggested keeping our gate locked to keep our
liability limited in case kids sneaking into the yard.

That said, If it was me, with a yard that wasn't fenced, backing onto a
greenbelt used by kids... I would seriously think about fencing the yard or
fencing the pond itself. It may be the only option for protecting yourself
from a major lawsuit.
Janet in snowy Niagara Falls

Old 27-01-2004, 04:05 PM
BenignVanilla

"Michael Lee" wrote in message
This is a very valid concern. We took our granddaughter to Water Babies so
she would learn how to float if she fell in. When she did, and I think it

is
inevitable that they will because a pond is so attractive, she bobbed to

the
surface and rolled over on her back, just like she was trained to do. Her
mom snatched her out, she wiped her face and said "I'm never going to do
that again, grandma!" There where not tears, no trama. That moment made it
well worth the cost of the lessons.

You have a major problem with it not being fenced. I think any lawyer

would
advise you to fill it in because it is what the legalese call and
"attractive nuisance" and lawsuit fodder.

snip

We've discussed this problem before, and IMHO there is simply one solution.
Be an active parent, both teaching them the dangers, and in watching them.
When our kids are in the yard, we always keep an eye out. That is part one.
Because even with the best training and ALL of the safety devices, it's a
big puddle of water, and they will find a way to drown in it. Secondly,
education. We have repeatedly beat the dangers of the pond into our
children's rapidly expanding grey matter. They know they should not go near
the pond without an adult nearby. Our 3 year old took a plunge in, one day
while we were working on the pond. That too was good education for him. LOL.

OK, I am rambling....in short...don't rely purely on safety devices. Teach
them and watch them.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 28-01-2004, 12:10 AM
FBCS

Try this site

http://www.entdirect.plus.com/safapond/

Old 28-01-2004, 12:33 PM
John Bachman

I could not get that link to work. I also went to
www.entdirect.plus.com (slowest download I have ever seen) but could
not find any pond information.

????

John

Old 28-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Janet

I don't think your missing much John imo... it's an extremely expensive
black plastic grate system from the UK. 300 pounds to do a tiny little pond!
Janet in very snowy Niagara Falls

Old 28-01-2004, 09:02 PM
FBCS

http://www.entdirect.plus.com/safapond/

I pulled it up with no problem. I had saved it on my favorites in case I
wanted to do this or some DIY of it at a later date. I have a small
grandchild.

Try again