Old 08-07-2005, 08:21 PM
2pods

Default Whitespot

It looks as if my goldfish have Ich.
If any of the tropical tank fish have it, I use a Interpet Anti Whitespot
product, but what's used for ponds ?

It's a very small 6' x 4' x 2' pond with lots of plants and a waterlily

Peter

Old 08-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Roy

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 20:21:22 +0100, "2pods" wrote:

===It looks as if my goldfish have Ich.
===If any of the tropical tank fish have it, I use a Interpet Anti Whitespot
===product, but what's used for ponds ?
===
===It's a very small 6' x 4' x 2' pond with lots of plants and a waterlily
===
===Peter
===

Are you sure its Ich......Check out this paper on Ich put out by the
University of Florida's Fish Biologies Dept. Look for circular #CIR920
on the http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu website. They have a host of good
info on a lot of ornamental fish problems and proper diagnosis and
treatments..

"The original frugal ponder"

Old 08-07-2005, 09:12 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 20:21:22 +0100, "2pods" wrote:

It looks as if my goldfish have Ich.
If any of the tropical tank fish have it, I use a Interpet Anti Whitespot
product, but what's used for ponds ?

It's a very small 6' x 4' x 2' pond with lots of plants and a waterlily

Peter

Salt at 0.3% will take care of ich, but your plants won't like it. Better
to treat the goldfish in a quarantine tank and get it's immune system up.
It probably got the ich if your water temperatures have been fluctuating.
Ich is almost always in the water, and most fish fight it off, stress will
cause them to come down with it. Salting to 0.1% when the temps are going
up and down can help a stressed fish and won't hurt (the vast majority of)
plants. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 08-07-2005, 09:41 PM
2pods

"~ janj JJsPond.us" wrote in message
[...]

Should they still be quite perky with Ich ?
They're still feeding and interested in everything, and will come to you.
Maybe Carp Pox ?
I was surprised to see whatever it is ,as water quality is good, filtered,
and UV sterilized

Peter

Old 08-07-2005, 10:20 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Should they still be quite perky with Ich ?

Yes, they can still be perky.

They're still feeding and interested in everything, and will come to you.
Maybe Carp Pox ?

I've never seen a goldfish with Carp Pox and they (CP & Ich) are so
different from each other that you wouldn't confuse the two. Carp Pox looks
like a wart, whereas ich looks like the fish has been seasoned with a
sprinkling of salt.

I was surprised to see whatever it is ,as water quality is good, filtered,
and UV sterilized
Peter

What has your weather been like over the last week? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 08-07-2005, 10:30 PM
2pods

"~ janj JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Should they still be quite perky with Ich ?

Yes, they can still be perky.

They're still feeding and interested in everything, and will come to you.
Maybe Carp Pox ?

I've never seen a goldfish with Carp Pox and they (CP & Ich) are so
different from each other that you wouldn't confuse the two. Carp Pox
looks
like a wart, whereas ich looks like the fish has been seasoned with a
sprinkling of salt.

I was surprised to see whatever it is ,as water quality is good, filtered,
and UV sterilized
Peter

What has your weather been like over the last week? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Weather has been warm and sunny.

Peter

Old 08-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Roy

Ich, is one of the few instances I ever used salt, and what I found it
wa a long term treatment and it wa best if the water wa 80-85 degrees,
preferably at the 85 deg mark......higher temp will accelerate any ich
eggs to hatch off quicker so they can be killed quicker......I have
always associated ich more or less with water that becomes chilled and
having a stressed out fish in that water. I know tropicals can get it
when they get a chill (stressed in that case as well) but would not
think a GF would get a chill this time of year in most areas....Still
best top put in QT if possible for best results w/heat is needed.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:37 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Weather has been warm and sunny.

Peter

How about difference in day/night temp, what's the swing been?
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 09-07-2005, 01:08 AM
2pods

"~ janj JJsPond.us" wrote in message
Weather has been warm and sunny.

Peter

How about difference in day/night temp, what's the swing been?
~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Not much at all.
Warm and clammy.
The goldfish have been out all winter.

Peter

Old 09-07-2005, 03:35 AM
~ janj JJsPond.us

Not much at all.
Warm and clammy.
The goldfish have been out all winter.
Peter

Well something is stressing them. Run all water tests including pH & KH,
perhaps we'll see something. In the meantime, can you quarantine this
particular fish? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 09-07-2005, 01:00 PM
2pods

Well something is stressing them. Run all water tests including pH & KH,

perhaps we'll see something. In the meantime, can you quarantine this
particular fish? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

ran tests everything ok except pH was 7.8
Unfortunately it looks as if the other two might have it.
There are also 5 small Tench (fingerlings) in there plus another GF.

Peter

Old 09-07-2005, 07:55 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 13:00:47 +0100, "2pods" wrote:

ran tests everything ok except pH was 7.8

When I asked to run all tests, I was hoping you'd give us the numbers,
rather than just the answer OK. Not to be flip, but this is one of those
situations where I'd like to be the judge of that. ;-) Not to mention
seeing all the tests you have on hand to test with.

Unfortunately it looks as if the other two might have it.
There are also 5 small Tench (fingerlings) in there plus another GF.
Peter

Pull them all out, or salt the pond. 13 oz solar salt/100 gallons to start.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:13 PM
2pods

When I asked to run all tests, I was hoping you'd give us the numbers,
rather than just the answer OK. Not to be flip, but this is one of those
situations where I'd like to be the judge of that. ;-) Not to mention
seeing all the tests you have on hand to test with.

Unfortunately it looks as if the other two might have it.
There are also 5 small Tench (fingerlings) in there plus another GF.
Peter

Pull them all out, or salt the pond. 13 oz solar salt/100 gallons to
start.
~ jan

pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10.
Ran out of GH/KH will get some tomorrow and test again.

This is going to sound weird, but I can't see the spots on their tails
anymore........Just the two with breeding spots they started with on their
gills.

Peter

Old 09-07-2005, 11:19 PM
~ janj JJsPond.us

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 22:13:31 +0100, "2pods" wrote:

Pull them all out, or salt the pond. 13 oz solar salt/100 gallons to
start.
~ jan

pH 7.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10.
Ran out of GH/KH will get some tomorrow and test again.

Thanks. I feel better now. ;o)

This is going to sound weird, but I can't see the spots on their tails
anymore........Just the two with breeding spots they started with on their
gills.
Peter

Weird indeedie, hopefully the problem solved itself. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~