Old 13-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Helen Hartley

Default storing apples

We have a few apple trees in our garden (first year, new garden) and want to
store them. We have already frozen lots of apple puree, but would now like
to store whole apples too.

Apple storage racks are extremely expensive.

Does anyone know where you can get:

1. cheap stackable (breathable) boxes or similar for storing one layer of
apples in?
and
2. card storage cells (fan out from flat to have one hole per apple, to
prevent neighbouring apples rotting each other)?

Have done a web search and found nothing!

Many thanks

Helen

Old 13-10-2005, 10:29 AM
chris French

In message , Helen Hartley
writes
We have a few apple trees in our garden (first year, new garden) and want to
store them.

Do you know what varieties? Not all apples are good storers, if you do
store them keep and eye on them.

We have already frozen lots of apple puree, but would now like
to store whole apples too.

Apple storage racks are extremely expensive.

Does anyone know where you can get:

1. cheap stackable (breathable) boxes or similar for storing one layer of
apples in?

~Greengrocer/market stall (maybe a supermarket) the shallow cardboard
boxes that some fruit/veg comes in.

and
2. card storage cells (fan out from flat to have one hole per apple, to
prevent neighbouring apples rotting each other)?

The indented 'trays' that go in fruit boxes would be good for this.
alternatively you can make then from newspaper, fold into a strip (to
make it a bit stiffer, and staple together. someone did post
instructions on this once her I think. Google groups may be your friend.

They can store well in plastic bags (not tightly sealed), and with few
holes for ventilation. Bob Flowerdew stores his in an old freezer (not
working) - more stable temp and humidity etc. I guess.
--
Chris French

Old 13-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Mike Lyle

Helen Hartley wrote:
We have a few apple trees in our garden (first year, new garden)

and
want to store them. We have already frozen lots of apple puree,

but
would now like to store whole apples too.

Apple storage racks are extremely expensive.

Does anyone know where you can get:

1. cheap stackable (breathable) boxes or similar for storing one
layer of apples in?
and
2. card storage cells (fan out from flat to have one hole per

apple,
to prevent neighbouring apples rotting each other)?

Have done a web search and found nothing!

Any supermarket should be glad to give you their empty trays: just
ask if you can have a word with the produce manager.

--
Mike.

Old 13-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Helen Hartley" contains these words:

Apple storage racks are extremely expensive.

Does anyone know where you can get:

1. cheap stackable (breathable) boxes or similar for storing one layer of
apples in?

Greengrocer. Especially the boxes apples come in - you get a papier
maché tray.

Otherwise, tomato boxes, and screw up pages of newsprint to separate the
apples. They shouldn't touch.

and
2. card storage cells (fan out from flat to have one hole per apple, to
prevent neighbouring apples rotting each other)?

Again, those papier maché trays do the job.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-10-2005, 02:13 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from chris French contains these words:

In message , Helen Hartley
writes
We have a few apple trees in our garden (first year, new garden) and
want to
store them.

Do you know what varieties? Not all apples are good storers, if you do
store them keep and eye on them.

They can store well in plastic bags (not tightly sealed), and with few
holes for ventilation. Bob Flowerdew stores his in an old freezer (not
working) - more stable temp and humidity etc. I guess.
--
Chris French

I agree that the poythene bag method works well as long as you inspect
them regularly. It's most important to keep them away from mice, etc.
Janet G