Old 25-08-2008, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Containers for storing apples

Please could you recommend suitable containers for storing apples.

I suppose some kind of stacking baskets would do the trick.

Any recommendations as to what to use and where to get them?
--
Chris
Old 25-08-2008, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Chris ] writes
Please could you recommend suitable containers for storing apples.

I suppose some kind of stacking baskets would do the trick.

Any recommendations as to what to use and where to get them?

You used to be able to get proper wooden stacking boxes, from veg shops
and so on - basically 4 upright in the corners, and thin splintery wood
like they used for punnets making the sides and bottom. Haven't seen
these around for years.

An alternative is cardboard boxes used for tomatoes, discarded by
supermarkets. These will stack OK, but are susceptible to rot if, eg,
you are keeping apples in a cellar (and apples are better kept in an
atmosphere which isn't completely dry).

Key is to be able to easily inspect, so avoid having apples in more than
a single layer if possible.

I use a combination of plastic baskets (with plenty of holes in the
sides), and plastic carrier bags. This is not ideal, and I wouldn't
recommend it, but it works well enough. I do get losses, but my apple
crop is large enough to cope with that.
--
Kay
Old 25-08-2008, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris ] writes
Please could you recommend suitable containers for storing apples.

I suppose some kind of stacking baskets would do the trick.

Any recommendations as to what to use and where to get them?

My local greengrocer has fruit and veg delivered in plastic trays, which the
suppliers refuse to take back, so when I want some I just ask him for some,
he is glad to get rid of them, I think it costs him money to take them to
the dump.

Alan

Old 25-08-2008, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Please could you recommend suitable containers for storing apples.

I suppose some kind of stacking baskets would do the trick.

Any recommendations as to what to use and where to get them?
--

Go to your local large supermarket like Tesco or Asda and beg for the
polystyrene trays that apples come in, they keep them apart so they cannot

Old 25-08-2008, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/8/08 18:53, in article , "Christina
Websell" wrote:

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Please could you recommend suitable containers for storing apples.

I suppose some kind of stacking baskets would do the trick.

Any recommendations as to what to use and where to get them?
--

Go to your local large supermarket like Tesco or Asda and beg for the
polystyrene trays that apples come in, they keep them apart so they cannot
infect each other if they rot. After that, you need to devise a box to keep
the trays apart if you have too many.
HTH.

My outlaws had a special apple chest of drawers in one of the sheds. It had
little compartments for each apple to sit in, not touching each other. The
latter is very important. If the OP can get hold of some old chest of
drawers, keep it somewhere cool and dry and rig up a similar interior, that
will do the trick. I wonder if those polystyrene trays would keep the fruit
too warm or would absorb damp? 'Someone' makes sock dividers for people who
are really worried about muddling up their socks when they dress in the
morning. I suppose something like that would work for fruit, too!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2008, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message ]
from Chris ] contains these words:

Please could you recommend suitable containers for storing apples.

I suppose some kind of stacking baskets would do the trick.

Any recommendations as to what to use and where to get them?

Shallow wooden or cardboard boxes, and you can get papier maché formed
bases for dividing layers.

We used to separate the apples with screwed-up newspaper when I was an
anklebiter. The bunks in the old air-raid shelter were always full of
apples from autumn right through, and sometimes there were some left
when the new lot was ready to pick.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 26-08-2008, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

Go to your local large supermarket like Tesco or Asda and beg for the
polystyrene trays that apples come in, they keep them apart so they cannot
infect each other if they rot. After that, you need to devise a box to keep
the trays apart if you have too many.

I'd avoid the polystyerine ones, and only take the papier maché ones.
The apples sweat on the plastic, and rot will start earlier.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 26-08-2008, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ], ] says...
Please could you recommend suitable containers for storing apples.

I suppose some kind of stacking baskets would do the trick.

Any recommendations as to what to use and where to get them?

We use the fruit boxes from Tescos! the ones they stack by the checkout,
sometimes even have the dimpled inserts for keeping the apples apart.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 26-08-2008, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes

My outlaws had a special apple chest of drawers in one of the sheds. It had
little compartments for each apple to sit in, not touching each other. The
latter is very important.

It's not absolutely critical if you can inspect regularly and remove any
rotten ones before they infect their neighbours. So if you can't find
anything that will keep the apples separate, don't let that discourage
you from keeping them

You can instead wrap them individually in squares of newspaper, but that
makes inspection less easy. I put away about 150lbs of apples each year,
so I go for easy storage and frequent inspection.

--
Kay
Old 26-08-2008, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/8/08 12:51, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes

My outlaws had a special apple chest of drawers in one of the sheds. It had
little compartments for each apple to sit in, not touching each other. The
latter is very important.

It's not absolutely critical if you can inspect regularly and remove any
rotten ones before they infect their neighbours. So if you can't find
anything that will keep the apples separate, don't let that discourage
you from keeping them

But would you? I know I'd forget!

You can instead wrap them individually in squares of newspaper, but that
makes inspection less easy. I put away about 150lbs of apples each year,
so I go for easy storage and frequent inspection.

Yes, the outlaws used to do that, too but I'm not sure they did it to all of
them.

Old 26-08-2008, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 25, 2:54*pm, Chris ] wrote:
Please could you recommend suitable containers for storing apples.

I suppose some kind of stacking baskets would do the trick.

Any recommendations as to what to use and where to get them?
--
Chris

Many years ago, my Dad purpose-built three tiers of shelving in our
attic, made a bit like the inside of a hot press. The apples were
laid out on these shelves delicately, not touching each-other, and
losses were minimal provided marked and bruised apples were kept out.
It worked terrifically well for the apples, even though the
athmosphere was probably a little too dry. However, coming up to
Xmas, what apples were left were wrinkly, but the flavour and
sweetness so condensed us kids used to love them even more!

Cat(h)
Old 26-08-2008, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 26/8/08 12:51, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes

My outlaws had a special apple chest of drawers in one of the sheds. It had
little compartments for each apple to sit in, not touching each other. The
latter is very important.

It's not absolutely critical if you can inspect regularly and remove any
rotten ones before they infect their neighbours. So if you can't find
anything that will keep the apples separate, don't let that discourage
you from keeping them

But would you? I know I'd forget!

Well, I keep them in the wine cellar, so that jogs my memory!
Besides, we're eating about 5lb a week, so I'm reminded again when I go
downstairs to collect a few more.

--
Kay
Old 26-08-2008, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/8/08 13:53, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes
On 26/8/08 12:51, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes

My outlaws had a special apple chest of drawers in one of the sheds. It
had
little compartments for each apple to sit in, not touching each other. The
latter is very important.

It's not absolutely critical if you can inspect regularly and remove any
rotten ones before they infect their neighbours. So if you can't find
anything that will keep the apples separate, don't let that discourage
you from keeping them

But would you? I know I'd forget!

Well, I keep them in the wine cellar, so that jogs my memory!
Besides, we're eating about 5lb a week, so I'm reminded again when I go
downstairs to collect a few more.

How I wish we had a cellar but I suppose the water table was too high here
to put one in. As it is we have 4 sheds of various kinds and sizes, 2
crammed with tools and nursery needs and 2 crammed with 'stuff'. I am quite
sure apples would be forgotten here!

Old 26-08-2008, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Please could you recommend suitable containers for storing apples.

I suppose some kind of stacking baskets would do the trick.

Any recommendations as to what to use and where to get them?
--
Chris

Storing apples in discarded iced broccoli polystyrene boxes outside keeps
them edible through to March. Find boxes at outdoor market stalls or
restaurants and stack apples on egg cartons. Check frequently and eat any
that look overripe.
H T H
David

Old 27-08-2008, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

Go to your local large supermarket like Tesco or Asda and beg for the
polystyrene trays that apples come in, they keep them apart so they
cannot
infect each other if they rot. After that, you need to devise a box to
keep
the trays apart if you have too many.

I'd avoid the polystyerine ones, and only take the papier maché ones.
The apples sweat on the plastic, and rot will start earlier.

You may well be right, and yours will be better but the cardboard-type apple
trays are not easily available to be scavenged from my local supermarkets.
I don't mind too much if some of my apples rot, I have a lot of them and I
keep chickens who are always happy to hoover up a rotten apple and it saves
me a bit on layers pellets which are a horrible price atm.