Old 28-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Janet Galpin

Default Long-storing apples

I bagged up some apples tonight to put in a dead freezer, Bob Flowerdew
style. When I opened the freezer, I found a polybag with a festering
mush of two apples totally forgotten from last year and alongside the
mush one perfectly preserved apple labelled Idared.

I had read that Idared is about the longest storing apple and planted a
tree because of that. This confirms it rather splendidly. To keep to the
following Sept, nearly October, and in a polybag with two rotten apples
seems to me to be pretty amazing.

Janet G
Old 29-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Malcolm Stewart

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
alongside the
mush one perfectly preserved apple labelled Idared.

It may keep well, but is it worth eating? My preference is for a Cox or a
Granny Smith.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old 29-09-2005, 09:17 AM
JP in Lon

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
alongside the
mush one perfectly preserved apple labelled Idared.

It may keep well, but is it worth eating?

My thoughts exactly.

My preference is for a Cox or a Granny Smith.

Or, perhaps a preserve. (since it's far easier to make a preserve than
uproot a tree...) :@)

--
J.P. in London.

Old 29-09-2005, 06:46 PM
Janet Galpin

The message
from "Malcolm Stewart"
contains these words:

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
alongside the
mush one perfectly preserved apple labelled Idared.

It may keep well, but is it worth eating? My preference is for a Cox or a
Granny Smith.

Idared is certainly not the most exciting apple for flavour but if
you're aiming for something approaching self-sufficiency, like the idea
of having easy access to organic apples or want to save on food miles,
then it's worth quite a bit to have your own apples between the months
of May and July when most other apples have either withered or turned
into a rotten mush. The only Coxes or Granny Smiths available during
those months will be imported ones.
Janet G