Old 08-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Attaching climber support to concrete posts?

In article ,
Paul D.Smith wrote:
Sometime this year (said that last year though!), we will be replacing our
fence with concrete posts and wooden panels. How do I fix supports for
climbers and the like to this fence? With wooden posts, I'd just use some
screw in eyes but obviously these won't work with concrete and I'm cautious
about drilling even small holes in case I weaken the posts.

You can tie 1.5 mm wire around them quite easily, armed with just a
pair of pliers. There are sometimes spare bolt-holes, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Jeffery

Another suggestion is to wrap chicken wire or Netlon round the post and if
possible attach to the fencing each side. This gives quite a strong
framework.

Best wishes,
Jeffery.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:44 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
et...
Sometime this year (said that last year though!), we will be replacing our
fence with concrete posts and wooden panels. How do I fix supports for
climbers and the like to this fence? With wooden posts, I'd just use some
screw in eyes but obviously these won't work with concrete and I'm

cautious
about drilling even small holes in case I weaken the posts.

Thanks,
Paul DS.

Paul,
are you going to use the slotted concrete posts with the panels which just
drop in?
If so, Nick's suggestion may not work, as there is normally no significant
gap between post and panel.
We have post and panel on two boundaries, and the posts are pre-cast
concrete with steel rods inside (one is a little crumbly so I can see the
metal) so I wouldn't recommend drilling.
I suppose you could bond something to the concrete with an industrial
strength glue, but I have never tried this.
We screw vine eyes into the wooden battens which form the sides of the fence
panels and fit into the concrete slots. We then run wire between vine eyes
across the panels.
These are fine to support vines and other similar climbers which take at
least some of their own weight.
I have just screwed a couple of lightweight folding trellis pieces (fold out
to form a diamond pattern) to two panels, screwing them to the strengthening
bars in the middle of the panel, for Clematis to climb up.
So far, so good, but we will see how it copes with the weight when fully
grown. :-)
If you want to go stronger, you could add horizontal battens to the fence
panel, fitting them on both sides and screwing through the vertical battens
for strength, or add a more substantial trellis with support on the far side
of the panel.
Final resort is to build your own, stronger, fence panel.
Be warned that adding wood adds weight, so be sure you can lift it above
your head to slot it between the posts.
HTH
Dave R
P.S. make sure you have a snug fit - strong gales can lift fence panels
right out of the slots and trying to refit them in a strong wind is not a
sport for the faint hearted. We tend to add wooden wedges to 'rattly' fence
panels.

Old 09-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Paul D.Smith

Thanks for the tip. I read the previous replies and replies that I hadn't
been specific enough - you were spot on, panels and slotted posts.

Paul DS.