Old 21-07-2008, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Buying lavender in bulk

Does anyone know a source for about 50 - 60 lavender plants? (Has to be
Hidcote)
A friend with a very large garden wants to dig up her existing lavenders
down both sides of a path and replace them with Hidcote. She'll probably
need about 60 though i have said that she could buy about 10 now or even
less and we could take cuttings and they'd be rooted by next year.
I also suggested that she shear the lavender back just for a trial, but
as she has lots of garden visitors she doesn't want to lose the 'effect'
too long so she's going to buy smallish plants rather than plugs etc.

I know there's sources on Ebay but she does want Hidocte so doesn't want
to take a chance, we did try a nursery at Chenies Plant fair at the
weekend but one nursery would only give her £2.00 discount on plants at
£3.50 each.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 21-07-2008, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/7/08 22:04, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

[...]

I think the problem is that 60 plants isn't really 'bulk'. A Nursery can
sell a lot more than that in a day to several people paying the full price
and not expecting a discount. Her best bet is to find a local grower
supplying other nurseries or gcs and see if they'll sell to her direct.
What size pot were they offering her at £3.50?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-07-2008, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
I think the problem is that 60 plants isn't really 'bulk'. A Nursery can
sell a lot more than that in a day to several people paying the full price
and not expecting a discount. Her best bet is to find a local grower
supplying other nurseries or gcs and see if they'll sell to her direct.
What size pot were they offering her at £3.50?

Quite small, possibly 5 inch?
Old 23-07-2008, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Prices vary a lot according to location, staff numbers, size of nursery etc.
but mostly, plants are sold in pots measured in litres except for 9cm, 10cm.
I'm guessing those were 10cm pots. I think that's quite expensive, myself
and that she should look around your area to see if she can do better.
Lavenders seem to have been very popular over the last couple of years but
we've been selling them for £3.50 in 2l pots and have little to no stock for
sale at present, as a result! A 2l pot is about 17cm across the top.

Well this was at Chenies plant fair, which is just 5 minutes down the
road but mortally expensive!!
We do have Farnham Common nurseries nearby who supply other garden
centres so i think she'll try there.

The Plant fair was good, quite a lot of stalls but generally about 20
different herbaceous plants set in different arrangements on different
stalls!
Hardly any shrubs or trees or vegetables.
Saw Rose hardy and had a chat about the lack of variety but as she
pointed out, that's what's in flower at this time of year and buyers
want flowers not the promise of even better in 2 months or God forbid a
year!
We went round the gardens etc. (it's at Chenies manor) and were
dumbstruck by the sunken garden, it had so many dahlias, cosmos,
petunias and other bedding stuff you couldn't move! This was in a
technicolour mix of pink, red, white a bit of yellow and pale blue.
Not our cup of tea at all but plenty of admiring visitors behind us
remarking how clever it was and how much work.
All we could see was a vast empty set of beds come the autumn!

Janet

Old 23-07-2008, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/7/08 11:33, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Prices vary a lot according to location, staff numbers, size of nursery etc.
but mostly, plants are sold in pots measured in litres except for 9cm, 10cm.
I'm guessing those were 10cm pots. I think that's quite expensive, myself
and that she should look around your area to see if she can do better.
Lavenders seem to have been very popular over the last couple of years but
we've been selling them for £3.50 in 2l pots and have little to no stock for
sale at present, as a result! A 2l pot is about 17cm across the top.

Well this was at Chenies plant fair, which is just 5 minutes down the
road but mortally expensive!!

We called in at a nursery yesterday and saw a really scruffy Nandina
domestica being sold for nearly £40. Admittedly it was in a 5 litre pot or
more but it looked *awful*!

We do have Farnham Common nurseries nearby who supply other garden
centres so i think she'll try there.

She could also try Jekka's Herbs and see if they'll do a 'deal' perhaps?

[...]

Perhaps there are great ranks of naked ladies hiding in there. ;-))