Old 17-03-2010, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Toads

Went outside this evening around 8pm and on the track were young toads
all heading in one direction, so I picked them uop and carried them
down to the pond before foxes, badgers etc had them.
The whole time I was carrying them they were chattering away, don't
know if they were thanking me for the lift.
When I came to put them down one had taken a liking to one of my
fingers and didn't want to let go.
They were less than half the size of a full grown toad.
The things we do for wild life.
David Hill
Old 17-03-2010, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote
Went outside this evening around 8pm and on the track were young toads
all heading in one direction, so I picked them uop and carried them
down to the pond before foxes, badgers etc had them.
The whole time I was carrying them they were chattering away, don't
know if they were thanking me for the lift.
When I came to put them down one had taken a liking to one of my
fingers and didn't want to let go.
They were less than half the size of a full grown toad.
The things we do for wild life.

Sitting watching TV this evening, it had been dark for some hours, and
"Bang" a Collared Dove had flown into our greenhouse window. Didn't know
they flew at night. Anyway, it was very dazed but alive so I placed it up
out of harms way on top of our garage and will see if it's recovered by
morning. If not the old air rifle will have to come out again.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-03-2010, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Dave Hill" wrote
Went outside this evening around 8pm and on the track were young toads
all heading in one direction, so I picked them uop and carried them
down to the pond before foxes, badgers etc had them.
The whole time I was carrying them they were chattering away, don't
know if they were thanking me for the lift.
When I came to put them down one had taken a liking to one of my
fingers and didn't want to let go.
They were less than half the size of a full grown toad.
The things we do for wild life.

Sitting watching TV this evening, it had been dark for some hours, and
"Bang" a Collared Dove had flown into our greenhouse window. Didn't
know they flew at night. Anyway, it was very dazed but alive so I
placed it up out of harms way on top of our garage and will see if it's
recovered by morning. If not the old air rifle will have to come out again.

See reply posted to your enquiry in uk.rec.natural-history
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 18-03-2010, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Went outside this evening around 8pm and on the track were young toads
all heading in one direction, so I picked them uop and carried them
down to the pond before foxes, badgers etc had them.
The whole time I was carrying them they were chattering away, don't
know if they were thanking me for the lift.
When I came to put them down one had taken a liking to one of my
fingers and didn't want to let go.
They were less than half the size of a full grown toad.
The things we do for wild life.
David Hill

They were adult toads returning to their ponds to mate. There are no young
toads at this time of year as they do not emerge from the water until June.
R.

Old 18-03-2010, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ragnar
writes

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Went outside this evening around 8pm and on the track were young toads
all heading in one direction, so I picked them uop and carried them
down to the pond before foxes, badgers etc had them.
The whole time I was carrying them they were chattering away, don't
know if they were thanking me for the lift.
When I came to put them down one had taken a liking to one of my
fingers and didn't want to let go.
They were less than half the size of a full grown toad.
The things we do for wild life.
David Hill

They were adult toads returning to their ponds to mate. There are no young
toads at this time of year as they do not emerge from the water until June.
R.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we had an orgy of frogs (up to 60) in
cavorting in one of our ponds about 4 weeks ago. Due to all the rain,
the pond was abnormally high and the spawn was laid at the shallow end
where the stones etc. gave support. Of course with the absence of rain
and the consequent falling water level, the spawn became frozen
regularly overnight. It's still there rather stranded. I decided not to
interfere but I suspect not too many froglets will emerge from that
particular pond this year. Sorry - that was a bit OT but we have
another, larger, wildlife pond which is the haunt of the toads at this
time. I haven't seen any strings of spawn yet but I have seen them about
in the area. Lots of newts in there too. But the frogs and the toads
never seem to use the same pond. Is that normal?
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 18-03-2010, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:17:48 -0000, Gopher wrote:

In message , Ragnar
writes

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

While we have not spotted any toads in our pond so far this year we
frequently end up with both frogs and toads laying spawn in it.

--
rbel
Old 19-03-2010, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

No toads here yet or at least not that we know of. *It poured with rain
today so tonight might tell a different story. *I'll look for them
tomorrow but up until now it's been frogs only.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

Did 2 toad walks last night and picked up 47 small(Male) and 3 large
(Female) toads.
One female had 5 males clinging to her back.
I never realised that there was such a size differance between the
males and females.
Thi rain has realy brought them out. I wonder how many nights this
will go on.
David Hill

Toads...and the #1 reason i like toads is..... jammer Ponds 2 29-04-2004 12:05 AM
Toads, toads, and more toads.... Szpond Ponds 18 20-06-2003 03:35 PM
Wanted to see tads turn to toads, dang it! jammer Ponds 9 15-06-2003 12:32 AM
Toads Pamcel United Kingdom 4 29-03-2003 11:44 AM
toads in MD [email protected] Ponds 8 11-03-2003 12:48 AM