Old 08-03-2003, 12:44 AM

Default toads in MD

When do toads in Maryland start mating (so I know when to ask my ponding
friends for tadpoles, as no toads have ever found my pond. Thus, I need
imports.)

Alan

**** Please use address to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Old 08-03-2003, 02:44 AM
K30a

Alan wrote When do toads in Maryland start mating

When you hear the males calling to the females.
Some web pages have sound files for different amphibians, to me toads sound
like demented crickets and tree frogs sound like jingle bells.

k30a
Old 08-03-2003, 02:56 AM
K30a

PS - mating is probably temperature dependent (it is with bullfrogs) so you can
have weeks variations from year to year.
Also the ground has to be moist or there has to be a rain storm they don't want
to dry out on their trips to the ponds.

k30a
Old 08-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Hal

Only your local friends can help you and you may have to keep in contact
and keep the idea alive. My friends didn't believe I really wanted
toads. I happened to be talking to one at the right time and was
invited to bring a bucket. When I showed up with a bucket they were
surprised.

I had not seen a toad in the yard for something like 10 years before I
brought some home, but I have plenty now. Some matings produce so
many toads they are everywhere and I use a light to keep from stepping
on the little ones. The youngest grandson came over a couple years
back just as the young toads were leaving the pond and caught 25 in just
a few minutes and wanted to catch some more and take them all home.
His mom convinced him to leave some here.

Regards,

Hal

Old 09-03-2003, 12:36 AM
Robyn Rhudy

I'm in Central MD. According to my old pond newsletters, the male toads
started calling on 4/13/02. The years before, it was April but also May.
My pond was open for business the second week of May 1997 and toads bred
then. The wood frogs are due now so I'm keeping an ear out. They didn't
come last year but it was a severe drought. They came in 2000 and 2001 to
breed though.

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 wrote:

When do toads in Maryland start mating (so I know when to ask my ponding
friends for tadpoles, as no toads have ever found my pond. Thus, I need
imports.)

Alan

**** Please use address
to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ -
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
_ _
(o)____(o) ---ribbit
_/ oo \_
/ \----------/ \
\ | | | | /
ww ooo ooo ww

Old 10-03-2003, 07:12 AM
Sue

Robyn Rhudy wrote in message ...
I'm in Central MD. According to my old pond newsletters, the male toads
Hi, My daughter lives in Baldwin, MD.

She has been there for 2 years( from Texas). She calls them frogs.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:48 AM

In , on 03/08/03
at 07:17 PM, Hal said:

I had not seen a toad in the yard for something like 10 years before I
brought some home, but I have plenty now. Some matings produce so many
toads they are everywhere and I use a light to keep from stepping on the
little ones. The youngest grandson came over a couple years back just
as the young toads were leaving the pond and caught 25 in just a few
minutes and wanted to catch some more and take them all home. His mom
convinced him to leave some here.

That's what I want - toads all over the yard.

Old 11-03-2003, 12:48 AM

In , on
03/08/03
at 07:37 PM, Robyn Rhudy said:

I'm in Central MD. According to my old pond newsletters, the male toads
started calling on 4/13/02. The years before, it was April but also May.
My pond was open for business the second week of May 1997 and toads bred
then. The wood frogs are due now so I'm keeping an ear out. They didn't
come last year but it was a severe drought. They came in 2000 and 2001
to breed though.

Wood frogs would be nice, too, but I'd be satisfied with a population of
toads that returns every year.

Alan

**** Please use address to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Toads...and the #1 reason i like toads is..... jammer Ponds 2 29-04-2004 12:05 AM
Toads, toads, and more toads.... Szpond Ponds 18 20-06-2003 03:35 PM
Wanted to see tads turn to toads, dang it! jammer Ponds 9 15-06-2003 12:32 AM
Toads Pamcel United Kingdom 4 29-03-2003 11:44 AM
THE TOADS ARE A-TRILLING Bob Ponds 7 07-03-2003 09:45 PM