Old 12-09-2006, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Syringa afghanica

Does anyone grow this form of Syringa? I'd like to know if it's likely
to be completely hardy or if I need to place it so it gets some
protection.

I bought a small one at a garden show at the weekend, largely because I
took a fancy to its attractive, finely cut foliage, as well as the
promise of scented flowers. There doesn't seem a lot of info on British
websites but what I've found so far suggests it's one of the parents of
the 'Persian lilac', Syringa x persica. This one definitely has much
prettier foliage though.

--
Sue

Old 13-09-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue wrote:
Does anyone grow this form of Syringa? I'd like to know if it's likely
to be completely hardy or if I need to place it so it gets some
protection.
I bought a small one at a garden show at the weekend, largely because I
took a fancy to its attractive, finely cut foliage, as well as the
promise of scented flowers. There doesn't seem a lot of info on British
websites but what I've found so far suggests it's one of the parents of
the 'Persian lilac', Syringa x persica. This one definitely has much
prettier foliage though.

Syringa Protolaciniata's synomym is S.afghanica, the lilac you've got.
Look into this plant under s.protolaciniata.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Registered User

Location: Melbourne, Australia
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Does anyone grow this form of Syringa? I'd like to know if it's likely
to be completely hardy or if I need to place it so it gets some
protection.

I bought a small one at a garden show at the weekend, largely because I
took a fancy to its attractive, finely cut foliage, as well as the
promise of scented flowers. There doesn't seem a lot of info on British
websites but what I've found so far suggests it's one of the parents of
the 'Persian lilac', Syringa x persica. This one definitely has much
prettier foliage though.

--
Sue
Hi Sue
I just bought myself a Syringa Afghanica yesterday and couldn't find out anything about it in my home library. It's currently in flower and is just lovely. I am pleased to report that it does have a gorgeous scent!
Luckily the tag it came with has some useful information...so here goes....
"This lovely ornate lilac has masses of small mauve-purple fragrant flowers arranged in a truss, and has dainty pinnately cut foliage. Syringa afghanica is extremely hardy tolerating frost, sun, heat and reasonable drought. It can grow to 2.5 metres high, and a spread of 1.5 metres. It is deciduous, but is not noted for its Autumn colour. Syringa afghanica will tolerate a wide range of soil types and pH.
When planting dig a hole twice the size of the root ball, tease out the roots (note: only if needed) and plant ensuring it is watered in well. Keep moist for the first summer until the plant becomes established. Mulching is also beneficial. Best in full sun" But seeing as we get hot summers here in Melbourne I'll plant mine where it gets mostly morning sun.
Hope this helps. Enjoy!
Old 26-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Registered User

I'm new to this forum but I can confirm that the Syringa afghanica has a very strong hardiness: it lives very well in very cold conditions.
I've planted last october a joung plant in my alpine garten in Valle di Casies (1200 m in North East Italy): this winter was long and very cold (-20, -25 ° C)
The first frost in November, snow (40 - 50 cm) till March-April, a very cold springstime and the soil iced till the middle of April.