Old 02-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Brian Watson

Default Syringa in a pot?

I have been given a Syringa (var.Katherine Havemeyer) by my daughter that I
really can't find a place for in my garden at the mo'.

Any idea whether It would survive and/or thrive in a 12" wide by 8" deep
pot?

You see, if potted, it *would* fit into a spot on my patio where it would
receive full sun but provide a bit of shade to those sitting out, enjoying a
Pimms or several in the summer.
--
Brian
"Let's be grateful for our Fridays and face our Mondays with good humour."

Old 02-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

I have been given a Syringa (var.Katherine Havemeyer) by my daughter that I
really can't find a place for in my garden at the mo'.

Any idea whether It would survive and/or thrive in a 12" wide by 8" deep
pot?

You see, if potted, it *would* fit into a spot on my patio where it would
receive full sun but provide a bit of shade to those sitting out, enjoying a
Pimms or several in the summer.

I presume you don't mean Syringa vulgaris (lilac), but mock orange? If
the latter, they are quite difficult to kill, but you would need to keep
a potted one well watered and well fed.

I'd pot it up with a fair amount of bone meal or hoof and horn.

Someone else will be along any minute to tell you what sort of soil they
prefer.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 03-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Brian Watson

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

I have been given a Syringa (var.Katherine Havemeyer) by my daughter

that I
really can't find a place for in my garden at the mo'.

Any idea whether It would survive and/or thrive in a 12" wide by 8" deep
pot?

You see, if potted, it *would* fit into a spot on my patio where it

would
receive full sun but provide a bit of shade to those sitting out,

enjoying a
Pimms or several in the summer.

I presume you don't mean Syringa vulgaris (lilac), but mock orange? If
the latter, they are quite difficult to kill, but you would need to keep
a potted one well watered and well fed.

Apparently it IS a Syringa Vulgaris (var.Katherine Havemeyer) lilac. I have
a couple of internet references that give the full scientific name, though
the label that came attached omitted the "Vulgaris".

The rest of the online reference describes it as "10–12' H & W. Double pink
flowers. ‘Lavender Lady’ (a French Hybrid cultivar) maintains an upright
habit and is most valued for its extremely fragrant single purple blooms in
early to mid-May, dark green foliage." It sounds very nice, and I'm hoping
to be able to keep it hard pruned and grow it as a patio plant.

I'd pot it up with a fair amount of bone meal or hoof and horn.

Someone else will be along any minute to tell you what sort of soil they
prefer.

The last piece of the jigsaw...

:-)

Thank you.

--
Brian
"I know about kittens and knitting. Will that do?"

Old 03-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

Apparently it IS a Syringa Vulgaris (var.Katherine Havemeyer) lilac. I have
a couple of internet references that give the full scientific name, though
the label that came attached omitted the "Vulgaris".

Oh. I've never heard of lilac being kept in a pot. (Well, I did have a
dwarf one many years ago, but it never flourished.) I'm not too sanguine
about your chances of keeping it alive for long, but I may be unduly
pessimistic.

The rest of the online reference describes it as "10–12' H & W. Double pink
flowers. ‘Lavender Lady’ (a French Hybrid cultivar) maintains an upright
habit and is most valued for its extremely fragrant single purple blooms in
early to mid-May, dark green foliage." It sounds very nice, and I'm hoping
to be able to keep it hard pruned and grow it as a patio plant.

I'd pot it up with a fair amount of bone meal or hoof and horn.

Someone else will be along any minute to tell you what sort of soil they
prefer.

The last piece of the jigsaw...

:-)

I'm not so sure. :-(

Old 03-01-2004, 12:42 PM
Chris Stewart

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
I have been given a Syringa (var.Katherine Havemeyer) by my daughter that

really can't find a place for in my garden at the mo'.

Any idea whether It would survive and/or thrive in a 12" wide by 8" deep
pot?

You see, if potted, it *would* fit into a spot on my patio where it would
receive full sun but provide a bit of shade to those sitting out, enjoying

Pimms or several in the summer.
--
Brian
"Let's be grateful for our Fridays and face our Mondays with good humour."

Hi Brian,
I would give it a bigger pot, and some decent soil with good
drainage. It will survive - it may thrive, but you need to make sure the
growing conditions are OK - eg water it regularly, feed it regularly -
experiment with the fertilisers if you must, but a normal growmore would do.
It's not an exact science, but most things will grow in pots - (think bonsai
trees - they're in pots for years, but are maintained and fed.) Go on, give
it a bash - my ash, rowan, purple elder, hazel, minarette apples, phormium
etc all survive, outdoors in pots of varying sizes in Aberdeen, and don't do
as well as their cousins in the garden, but flower and look good never the
less.
Chris S

Old 03-01-2004, 04:36 PM
Franz Heymann

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

I have been given a Syringa (var.Katherine Havemeyer) by my daughter

that I
really can't find a place for in my garden at the mo'.

Any idea whether It would survive and/or thrive in a 12" wide by 8" deep
pot?

You see, if potted, it *would* fit into a spot on my patio where it

would
receive full sun but provide a bit of shade to those sitting out,

enjoying a
Pimms or several in the summer.

I presume you don't mean Syringa vulgaris (lilac), but mock orange? If
the latter, they are quite difficult to kill, but you would need to keep
a potted one well watered and well fed.

Syringa (var.Katherine Havemeyer) is not a mock orange. It is one of the
lilacs, a Syringa emodi variety. 15 ft tall, deciduous

I'd pot it up with a fair amount of bone meal or hoof and horn.

Someone else will be along any minute to tell you what sort of soil they
prefer.

Franz

Old 03-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I presume you don't mean Syringa vulgaris (lilac), but mock orange? If
the latter, they are quite difficult to kill, but you would need to keep
a potted one well watered and well fed.

Syringa (var.Katherine Havemeyer) is not a mock orange. It is one of the
lilacs, a Syringa emodi variety. 15 ft tall, deciduous

As I said, Syringa vulgaris (lilac)......

Brian just said 'syringa' which is a movable feast to us old-timers.

Syringa afghanica Sue United Kingdom 3 26-07-2010 07:42 AM
Syringa vulgaris e+d[_2_] Garden Photos 1 28-04-2009 09:04 PM
Syringa Vulgaris 'Primrose' Lilac Bob Hallsworth United Kingdom 3 07-05-2006 05:39 PM
lilac - syringa vulgaris aucubaefolis KD Gardening 3 21-05-2005 03:44 PM