Old 04-10-2015, 08:00 PM
Registered User

Default Roundup Gel - how much to use

I'm trying to eradicate a collection of nettles and other weeds from my summer bulbs bed using Roundup Gel.
How much gel do I need to use?
- a dab on one leaf?
- cover all the leaves?
- a smear over a few leaves?
The instructions on the container seem enthusiastic but are not very precise.
Anybody know?
Cheers
Ralph
Old 04-10-2015, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/10/2015 20:00, Ralph Holmes wrote:
I'm trying to eradicate a collection of nettles and other weeds from my
summer bulbs bed using Roundup Gel.
How much gel do I need to use?
- a dab on one leaf?
- cover all the leaves?
- a smear over a few leaves?
The instructions on the container seem enthusiastic but are not very
precise.
Anybody know?
Cheers
Ralph

Why not contact them and ask them how much to use
http://www.roundup-garden.com/contact
Old 05-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Registered User

Thanks for that David. I have done that, as a matter of course, but I thought someone on GardenBanter might just know the answer.
Cheers
Ralph
Old 05-10-2015, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/10/2015 20:00, Ralph Holmes wrote:

I'm trying to eradicate a collection of nettles and other weeds from my
summer bulbs bed using Roundup Gel.

Nettles are quite shallow rooted and can be easily pulled up with
leather gloves and a fork to loosen the soil.

How much gel do I need to use?
- a dab on one leaf?
- cover all the leaves?
- a smear over a few leaves?
The instructions on the container seem enthusiastic but are not very
precise.
Anybody know?

A few growing point leaves ought to do it but it is already a bit too
late for this year as most deciduous plants have already stopped growing
and will not be badly affected by glyphosate any more. They have to be
in active rapid growth for it to work well (and takes about two weeks).
It is now too cold for that at least where I live.

Save the stuff for next spring and remove the weeds manually for now.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-10-2015, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 21:00:24 +0200, Ralph Holmes
wrote:

I'm trying to eradicate a collection of nettles and other weeds from my
summer bulbs bed using Roundup Gel.
How much gel do I need to use?
- a dab on one leaf?
- cover all the leaves?
- a smear over a few leaves?
The instructions on the container seem enthusiastic but are not very
precise.
Anybody know?
Cheers
Ralph

I find pulling weeds up is just as effective as weed killer. It takes
a few years before they give up trying.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 05-10-2015, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I'm trying to eradicate a collection of nettles and other weeds from my
summer bulbs bed using Roundup Gel.
How much gel do I need to use?
- a dab on one leaf?
- cover all the leaves?
- a smear over a few leaves?
The instructions on the container seem enthusiastic but are not very
precise.
Anybody know?
Cheers
Ralph

I find pulling weeds up is just as effective as weed killer. It takes
a few years before they give up trying.

The fastest way is a combined physical and chemical attack.

Depending on quite how pernicious the weed is weaken it with weedkiller
and then dig up or dig up and then spot weed any new growth the moment
it surfaces. Ground elder needs the former treatment to zap it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-10-2015, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I'm trying to eradicate a collection of nettles and other weeds from my
summer bulbs bed using Roundup Gel.
How much gel do I need to use?
- a dab on one leaf?
- cover all the leaves?
- a smear over a few leaves?
The instructions on the container seem enthusiastic but are not very
precise.
Anybody know?
Cheers
Ralph

I find pulling weeds up is just as effective as weed killer. It takes
a few years before they give up trying.

The fastest way is a combined physical and chemical attack.

Depending on quite how pernicious the weed is weaken it with weedkiller
and then dig up or dig up and then spot weed any new growth the moment
it surfaces. Ground elder needs the former treatment to zap it.

I've never even seen Ground elder.

If it invaded my garden I would probably eat it as it's supposed to be
tasty!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 05-10-2015, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 05/10/2015 13:38, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

I find pulling weeds up is just as effective as weed killer. It takes
a few years before they give up trying.

The fastest way is a combined physical and chemical attack.

Depending on quite how pernicious the weed is weaken it with weedkiller
and then dig up or dig up and then spot weed any new growth the moment
it surfaces. Ground elder needs the former treatment to zap it.

I've never even seen Ground elder.

If it invaded my garden I would probably eat it as it's supposed to be
tasty!

It is supposed to be a remedy for gout. That is why the Romans grew it.

Even a 1/4" piece of the thick white root missed will be a new plant.

A neighbour rotivated a plot with it in and increased his problem with
the stuff by an order of magnitude.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-10-2015, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/10/2015 09:13, Ralph Holmes wrote:
Thanks for that David. I have done that, as a matter of course, but I
thought someone on GardenBanter might just know the answer.

Quite unlikely. It's far more possible that somebody on the usenet group
uk.rec.gardening might, and gardenbanter copies all the posts from here.

I don't use Roundup - maybe the cancer scares are true, but mainly I
don't think keeping the weeds down in my garden justifies it - but AIUI
you need to use it when the weeds are actively growing. Which probably
means next spring.

Andy

Old 05-10-2015, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/10/2015 15:07, Martin Brown wrote:

A neighbour rotivated a plot with it in and increased his problem with
the stuff by an order of magnitude.

We have it. Persistent weeding and it seems to be slowly giving up. I
must try eating some one day. But not some with Roundup!

Andy
Old 05-10-2015, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/10/2015 21:37, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 05/10/2015 15:07, Martin Brown wrote:

A neighbour rotivated a plot with it in and increased his problem with
the stuff by an order of magnitude.

We have it. Persistent weeding and it seems to be slowly giving up. I
must try eating some one day. But not some with Roundup!

You have to be persistent but it will give up the ghost more easily than
bindweed. Never allow it to grow a leaf that isn't hit by weedkiller on
emergence and get every last piece of root you can. I have know someone
do it in a single season. Took me three years.

Paradoxically 2x over dilution of glyphosate so that you get a very
slower kill seems to work better taking down more root/rhizome through
having more time to translocate. No point in using weedkiller at this
time of year though the stuff is going dormant now.

I have an adjacent field laced with the stuff next door.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 06-10-2015, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/10/2015 21:35, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 05/10/2015 09:13, Ralph Holmes wrote:
Thanks for that David. I have done that, as a matter of course, but I
thought someone on GardenBanter might just know the answer.

Quite unlikely. It's far more possible that somebody on the usenet group
uk.rec.gardening might, and gardenbanter copies all the posts from here.

I don't use Roundup - maybe the cancer scares are true, but mainly I
don't think keeping the weeds down in my garden justifies it - but AIUI
you need to use it when the weeds are actively growing. Which probably
means next spring.

I don't use RoundUp either. I wouldn't willingly give Monsanto a penny.

However, I will use whichever generic glyphosate formulation contains
the most active ingredient per unit cost. It is a remarkable weedkiller.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 06-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Registered User

Thanks for the vast amount of advice, but no one has even addressed my question, let alone answered it.

Is compulsive advice giving treatable?