A Gardening forum. GardenBanter.co.uk

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » GardenBanter.co.uk forum » Regional Gardening Discussions » United Kingdom
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What is the best way to kill ants?



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22-07-2004, 12:01 AM
Yakman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?

I have a small 12' x 12' garden, mostly paving slabs, with a border all
round. I have had a problem with many ants over the past few years. This
year though there seems to be more than ever, coming from 5 or six sources.

What is the best way to kill the ants or reduce there number.

I have tried Nippon and boiling water, but to no avail.

Many thanks.


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.722 / Virus Database: 478 - Release Date: 18/07/04


Ads
  #2  
Old 22-07-2004, 12:01 AM
PK
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?

Yakman wrote:
I have a small 12' x 12' garden, mostly paving slabs, with a
border all round. I have had a problem with many ants over the
past few years. This year though there seems to be more than
ever, coming from 5 or six sources.

What is the best way to kill the ants or reduce there number.

I have tried Nippon and boiling water, but to no avail.



Armillatox.

I use it neat at entrance holes in paving.

not as an insecticide you understand but just as a way of helping the ants
clean their nest.

pk


  #3  
Old 22-07-2004, 12:04 AM
redclay
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?


Robert wrote in message
...

"Yakman" wrote in message
...
: I have a small 12' x 12' garden, mostly paving slabs, with a border all
: round. I have had a problem with many ants over the past few years. This
: year though there seems to be more than ever, coming from 5 or six
sources.
:
: What is the best way to kill the ants or reduce there number.

Boric acid mixed with sugar or honey at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon to one
ounce. Another good bait is ground pecans or walnuts mixed with boric acid
at the same rate. Ants do damage, they "raise" aphids both root and leaf.
They will get into fruit.

  #4  
Old 22-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Martin Brown
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?

In message , Yakman
writes
I have a small 12' x 12' garden, mostly paving slabs, with a border all
round. I have had a problem with many ants over the past few years. This
year though there seems to be more than ever, coming from 5 or six sources.

What is the best way to kill the ants or reduce there number.


Stamping on them will sometimes work. Ten with one blow etc.

Unless they are invading the house it is easier to live and let live.
Otherwise as you have already found the poisons available to
householders do little to discourage them.

I have tried Nippon and boiling water, but to no avail.


You are wasting your time entirely with boiling water. Some of the borax
based baits sometimes work, but it is only worth doing to eliminate a
colony that is invading the house or kitchen.

Even if you killed all the ants in your 12' x 12' space now new colonies
will re-appear in every suitable location when the queens fly later in
summer.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
  #5  
Old 22-07-2004, 08:07 AM
Douglas
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?


"redclay" wrote in message
...

Robert wrote in message
...

"Yakman" wrote in message
...
: I have a small 12' x 12' garden, mostly paving slabs, with a border

all
: round. I have had a problem with many ants over the past few years.

This
: year though there seems to be more than ever, coming from 5 or six
sources.
:
: What is the best way to kill the ants or reduce there number.

Boric acid mixed with sugar or honey at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon to one
ounce. Another good bait is ground pecans or walnuts mixed with boric

acid
at the same rate. Ants do damage, they "raise" aphids both root and

leaf.
They will get into fruit.


********
At one of the houses I lived in the little blighters used to swarm all over
the kitchen cupboards.
I tried everything but no luck. They would come and go at random. Something
to do with the season or the climate or an ant 'race' (culture)
development?. In the jungle I have seen Marching Ants but you get to hell
out of it, - but quick.
Doug.
********
Doug.
********


  #6  
Old 22-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Klara
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?

In message , Douglas
writes
At one of the houses I lived in the little blighters used to swarm all
over the kitchen cupboards. I tried everything but no luck. They would
come and go at random. Something to do with the season or the climate
or an ant 'race' (culture) development?. In the jungle I have seen
Marching Ants but you get to hell
out of it, - but quick.
Doug.


We had a sudden population explosion in the house (though luckily the
living-room, not the kitchen). Last week was graduation week - all week
long the window was black with winged ants and worker ants pushing them
and (presumably) shouting 'fly! fly!'
Hated it, but there was no choice - ant killer. It's very quiet now; I
hope the rest will take the hint and move back out into the garden,
where the green woodpecker is teaching her baby to catch ants!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
  #7  
Old 22-07-2004, 10:03 AM
newsb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?

In article , Douglas
writes

At one of the houses I lived in the little blighters used to swarm all over
the kitchen cupboards.
I tried everything but no luck. They would come and go at random. Something
to do with the season or the climate or an ant 'race' (culture)
development?. In the jungle I have seen Marching Ants but you get to hell
out of it, - but quick.
Doug.


When camping - and occasionally in a house - I've found that a line of
neat washing up liquid makes an effective barrier. Presumably, you need
a) a hard surface to put it on; b) no other points of entry; c) to renew
it fairly often.

--
regards andyw
  #8  
Old 22-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Sacha
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?

On 22/7/04 9:10, in article , "newsb"
wrote:

In article , Douglas
writes

At one of the houses I lived in the little blighters used to swarm all over
the kitchen cupboards.
I tried everything but no luck. They would come and go at random. Something
to do with the season or the climate or an ant 'race' (culture)
development?. In the jungle I have seen Marching Ants but you get to hell
out of it, - but quick.
Doug.


When camping - and occasionally in a house - I've found that a line of
neat washing up liquid makes an effective barrier. Presumably, you need
a) a hard surface to put it on; b) no other points of entry; c) to renew
it fairly often.


D) to remember it's there so you don't break your neck slipping on it. ;-)
In one house I owned, it was impossible to get rid of all the ants - they
were in some kind of hollow in the wall of the kitchen and they returned
every year. Eventually, we just drew a line of Nippon or something similar
round certain exits and entrances and established some sort of territorial
rights for them and for me!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)

  #9  
Old 22-07-2004, 10:03 AM
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:50:42 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 22/7/04 9:10, in article , "newsb"
wrote:

In article , Douglas
writes

At one of the houses I lived in the little blighters used to swarm all over
the kitchen cupboards.
I tried everything but no luck. They would come and go at random. Something
to do with the season or the climate or an ant 'race' (culture)
development?. In the jungle I have seen Marching Ants but you get to hell
out of it, - but quick.
Doug.


When camping - and occasionally in a house - I've found that a line of
neat washing up liquid makes an effective barrier. Presumably, you need
a) a hard surface to put it on; b) no other points of entry; c) to renew
it fairly often.


D) to remember it's there so you don't break your neck slipping on it. ;-)
In one house I owned, it was impossible to get rid of all the ants - they
were in some kind of hollow in the wall of the kitchen and they returned
every year. Eventually, we just drew a line of Nippon or something similar
round certain exits and entrances and established some sort of territorial
rights for them and for me!


They use naphthalene flakes in OZ to deter ants.

It seems to work according to this
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...0073.Gb.r.html


There's no shortage of rain here
http://www.meteonet.nl/fotoverslag17072004.htm
--
Martin
  #10  
Old 22-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Chris Hogg
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:34:54 +0100, "Robert"
wrote:


Why bother, they do little harm

I disagree. They undermine concrete slabs and cause them to settle
unevenly, and if their nests are in the roots of a plant, that plant
can die from lack of moisture in dry weather. And they cause humps in
the lawn that get scalped by the mower (and it's not set that low!).


--
Chris

E-mail: christopher[dot]hogg[at]virgin[dot]net
  #11  
Old 22-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Kate Morgan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?



Why bother, they do little harm

I disagree. They undermine concrete slabs and cause them to settle
unevenly, and if their nests are in the roots of a plant, that plant
can die from lack of moisture in dry weather. And they cause humps in
the lawn that get scalped by the mower (and it's not set that low!).


Yes I agree with all of that


kate
  #12  
Old 22-07-2004, 07:44 PM
PK
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?

Yakman wrote:
I have a small 12' x 12' garden, mostly paving slabs, with a
border all round. I have had a problem with many ants over the
past few years. This year though there seems to be more than
ever, coming from 5 or six sources.

What is the best way to kill the ants or reduce there number.

I have tried Nippon and boiling water, but to no avail.



Armillatox.

I use it neat at entrance holes in paving.

not as an insecticide you understand but just as a way of helping the ants
clean their nest.

pk


  #13  
Old 22-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Nick Maclaren
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?

In article ,
Kate Morgan wrote:

Why bother, they do little harm

I disagree. They undermine concrete slabs and cause them to settle
unevenly, and if their nests are in the roots of a plant, that plant
can die from lack of moisture in dry weather. And they cause humps in
the lawn that get scalped by the mower (and it's not set that low!).


Yes I agree with all of that


And that's serious harm?

For heaven's sake, gardening is about living with nature. If you
don't want to give an inch, you are the sort of person that regards
Monsanto as a "green" company. You can't eliminate ants without
creating a totally artficial ecology.


Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
  #14  
Old 22-07-2004, 11:03 PM
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?

On 22 Jul 2004 20:05:39 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Kate Morgan wrote:

Why bother, they do little harm

I disagree. They undermine concrete slabs and cause them to settle
unevenly, and if their nests are in the roots of a plant, that plant
can die from lack of moisture in dry weather. And they cause humps in
the lawn that get scalped by the mower (and it's not set that low!).


Yes I agree with all of that


And that's serious harm?

For heaven's sake, gardening is about living with nature. If you
don't want to give an inch, you are the sort of person that regards
Monsanto as a "green" company. You can't eliminate ants without
creating a totally artficial ecology.


If you eliminate ants, who is going to milk the greenflies
--
Martin
  #15  
Old 22-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Kate Morgan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default What is the best way to kill ants?


Yes I agree with all of that


And that's serious harm?

For heaven's sake, gardening is about living with nature. If you
don't want to give an inch, you are the sort of person that regards
Monsanto as a "green" company. You can't eliminate ants without
creating a totally artficial ecology.


Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I did not say it was serious harm did I! I just agreed that that is
what they did.You have no idea what sort of person I am if you did then
you would not make such a remark.

regards

kate
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
red ants that are attracted to water Jonathan R. Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM
Silver maple and wood boring ants Babberney Gardening 3 27-03-2003 01:44 PM
Ants in the garden peep Australia 2 11-03-2003 12:08 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2004-2014 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.