Holes in flower bed

Old 23-02-2003, 01:03 PM
JimM

Default Holes in flower bed

Hi

Spent the morning clearing a flower bed that was pretty much covered by
weeds and I've unearthed two small holes which are presumably burrowa of
some sort. They are about an inch in diameter and 3 feet apart, I've not
disturbed them so have no idea how deep or whether they are connected. Any
ideas as to what might of made them and if it is still likely to be living
there ? I did have moles digging up my lawn 2 years ago is the messy sod
back

Thanks

Jim

--
Remove BRAIN before replying

Old 23-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Kay Easton

In article , JimM
writes
Hi

Spent the morning clearing a flower bed that was pretty much covered by
weeds and I've unearthed two small holes which are presumably burrowa of
some sort. They are about an inch in diameter and 3 feet apart, I've not
disturbed them so have no idea how deep or whether they are connected. Any
ideas as to what might of made them and if it is still likely to be living
there ? I did have moles digging up my lawn 2 years ago is the messy sod
back

bank voles?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 23-02-2003, 07:40 PM
ned

Kay Easton wrote:
In article , JimM
writes
Hi

Spent the morning clearing a flower bed that was pretty much
covered by weeds and I've unearthed two small holes which are
presumably burrowa of some sort. They are about an inch in
diameter and 3 feet apart, I've not disturbed them so have no idea
how deep or whether they are connected. Any ideas as to what might
of made them and if it is still likely to be living there ? I did
have moles digging up my lawn 2 years ago is the messy sod back

bank voles?

Yes, mole tunnels are usually a bit bigger than 1 inch diameter. But
there are a whole range of voles and shrews that then have to be
considered.
Now, if you had a dropping, or a few hairs from behind the left ear,
we might be able to be a bit more specific. ;-)

--
ned

Old 23-02-2003, 07:49 PM
Rod

"JimM" wrote in message ...
Hi

Spent the morning clearing a flower bed that was pretty much covered by
weeds and I've unearthed two small holes which are presumably burrowa of
some sort. They are about an inch in diameter and 3 feet apart, I've not
disturbed them so have no idea how deep or whether they are connected. Any
ideas as to what might of made them and if it is still likely to be living
there ? I did have moles digging up my lawn 2 years ago is the messy sod
back

Thanks

Jim

Could be one of a number of things (not moles - too small) but highly unlikely to cause any serious problems in any
case.
Voles are most likely and they do some damage in gardens but just tackle the problems as they occur if they're serious
enough.

Rod