Old 08-07-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Young plum tree problem

I planted a victoria plum last spring. This year is flowered
extensively and has set a small number of fruit.

However 2 boughs are dieing back. One is one of the leaders and is
well over 2 ft long and has a lot of young growth on it.

Can anyone give guidance / reassurance please.

Thanks

Rob

Old 08-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Mike

I planted a victoria plum last spring. This year is flowered
extensively and has set a small number of fruit.

However 2 boughs are dieing back. One is one of the leaders and is
well over 2 ft long and has a lot of young growth on it.

Can anyone give guidance / reassurance please.

Thanks

Rob

Sorry Rob, not reassurance :-((

Our neighbour had a Plum and that too was very healthy, then, bang, dead.

I think you will find it is something to do with the weather/water pattern.
We had a tree in our garden close to where the plum was and that had died
:-((

Son in Law came and took it out yesterday.

Look at the worse, hope for the best.

But I feel that the watering is the problem. We have 5 butts across the back
of the garage and have today sealed two off because they are not/have not
filled.

Mike

--
RAF Regiment Assoc. Scarborough 2 - 5 Sept. Visit to Eden Camp
H.M.S.Collingwood Assn Trafalgar Dinner. Coventry October 21 - 24

Old 11-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Spider

wrote in message
oups.com...
I planted a victoria plum last spring. This year is flowered
extensively and has set a small number of fruit.

However 2 boughs are dieing back. One is one of the leaders and is
well over 2 ft long and has a lot of young growth on it.

Can anyone give guidance / reassurance please.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

Your only hope of saving this tree is to remove the dead and diseased wood.
Cut back to clean wood, where there is no internal staining. Do this as
soon as possible in dry, sunny weather. Burn or dispose of dead wood. Do
not compost it, or leave it lying around the garden. You won't want to do
this, but it would really help your tree recover if it wasn't bearing fruit.
During my plum tree's first year, I automatically removed all fruitlets to
allow the tree's energy to be directed into root and stem growth. So far, I
haven't regretted it.

Best of luck,
Spider

Old 16-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Clifford

Hi Rob,
Would agree with other postings.
1. You need to prune out the dead / disease wood.
Remember to clean your seceters afterwards, just wipe over with
methylated spirits.
2. Burn trimmings
3. As insurance, paint the cut surface with a fungicidal wound paint -
like Medo or arbrex
4. Remove fruit - certainly for first year, thin in 2nd and should be
ok from there, unless particully heavy cropping.

Plums generally don't get prunned owing to silverleaf disease.