Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2003, 01:09 AM
Jack Sandweiss

Default California Redwood Tree ?

We live by the coast in So. Cal. and have two redwoods on our north side
close to the house. We bought this house about 3 years ago only to learn
that the prior owner topped the largest of the pair. Now, its upper,
small branches are dying and the upper trunk is turning grey, but it is
filling in heavily along the lower side, and the lower 3/4 trunk looks
good. We understand that these were planted from seed by the first owner
in 1947. The topped one is about 40-50', with a trunk base diameter
about 3.5-4'. Obviously, this is the one I'm concerned about. It's a
majestic tree.

Will the topping prove to be fatal? If not, what should I have done, and
with what credentials, if need be? This tree means a lot to someone
raised in the midwest.

Jack

Hey all freesia Question in california Zone 9 Redwood City Ca mike hubbard Gardening 0 09-04-2008 01:39 AM
[IBC] Curved Dawn Redwood Marty Haber Bonsai 3 04-07-2003 11:20 PM
Curved Dawn Redwood Greg Wilson Bonsai 1 04-07-2003 09:08 PM
Redwood Soil Conditioner (Big R) Kazuo Gardening 0 08-04-2003 07:56 PM
[IBC] redwood roots Colin Horn Bonsai 1 13-03-2003 04:32 AM