Old 07-02-2003, 10:05 PM
Larry Caldwell

Default Help forestry student!

(Rasmus D. Andersen) writes:

I need some help translating a Danish word into English. The word describes
a kind of planting-technique we use to protect the new, small plants from
predators, drought and spring frost. In the same hole as you plant the
valuabel future tree species you put a less valuabel and more resistant
species, the "mantle" (e.g. picea or pinus!). The idea is that the resistant
species will grow up to cover the future species and hereby protect it from
the harsh condition on a bare land. Over time the future species will take
over and "outgrow" the mantle.
We call this method "mantle-planting" (direct translation) but i need to
know the right term in english/american or german if anyone knows!
If you got experience or know about litterature on the subject I would be
glad to here from you.

Hello, Rasmus.

I'm not sure if there is a specific term in English/American for what you
are describing. In agriculture, a crop planted to give shelter to a more
fragile seed is known as a "nurse crop." Annual ryegrass is a popular
nurse crop, since it dies after one year and does not reseed without
human intervention.

I suppose you could call your practice a plantation using nurse trees.
"Nurse tree" is a forestry term, though I have mostly heard it applied to
a fallen log that provides shelter for seedlings. You would need to
clarify your exact meaning in some way. A "mantle-planting" as you have
described it also seems like perfectly good English. If you are the
author, just describe your term and use it. If you are a translator, add
a footnote.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
Old 08-02-2003, 07:25 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

(Rasmus D. Andersen) writes:
I need some help translating a Danish word into English. The word

describes a kind of planting-technique we use to protect the new, small
plants from predators, drought and spring frost. In the same hole as you
plant the valuable future tree species you put a less valuabel and more
resistant species, the "mantle" (e.g. picea or pinus!). The idea is that the
resistant species will grow up to cover the future species and hereby
protect it from the harsh condition on a bare land. Over time the future
species will take over and "outgrow" the mantle. We call this method
"mantle-planting" (direct translation) but I need to know the right term in
english/american or german if anyone knows! If you got experience or know
about literature on the subject I would be glad to here from you.

Larry Caldwell schreef
[...]

+ + +
I don't know either
"Nurse tree" might do, and is defined by
John A Helms, The dictionary of Forestry (1998) as:
"a tree, group, or crop of trees, shrubs or other plants, either naturally
occurring or introduced, used to nurture, improve survival, or improve the
form of a more desirable tree or crop when young by protecting it from
frost, isolation, wind, or insect attack [...]"

Not sure if I like it. "Companion sapling" / "tree" might also be worth
considering. Maybe try looking up the cultivation of Santalum album which is
always planted with a fast growing companion which also serves as a host.
PvR

Old 08-02-2003, 06:28 PM
mhagen

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
(Rasmus D. Andersen) writes:

[...]

Companion planting is an accepted gardening term, though like "nurse
log" it's developed a more narrow common definition. I'm with Larry -
use your own term. It works well. The method itself sounds a bit
counter productive. Do the advantages of "mantle planting" outweigh
the competition?

Old 09-02-2003, 10:04 PM
Rasmus D. Andersen

Companion planting is an accepted gardening term, though like "nurse
log" it's developed a more narrow common definition. I'm with Larry -
use your own term. It works well. The method itself sounds a bit
counter productive. Do the advantages of "mantle planting" outweigh
the competition?

Sometimes it is essentiel to make the plants grow taller than 2m. over which
height the deer doesn't bite them down anymore. It also gives us a helping
hand especially when we try to convert conifer plantations into mixed
broadleaved forest, this way we save the money it costs to fence the whole
regeneration site and the use of pesticides and fertilizers a less needed.
commonly this kind of regeneration are not done to produce logs or pulpwood,
but more a way to create greater biodiversity and upgrade the value of the
landscapes. In a way you can say that these areas are taken out off
production for a great amount of time and it may seem like a stupid thing to
do, but there is no longer good money in raw wood for the time being and
forestowners are demanding other values nowadays - we are tought most about
the production of biological and social values of the forest!

Rasmus

Old 09-02-2003, 11:03 PM
mhagen

Rasmus D. Andersen wrote:
[...]

I can understand the method's use for forest restoration in the specific
cases you mentioned. There have been similar attempts here (pacific NW
usa) - conversion to hardwood is uncommon and difficult to manage. In my
area, use of Spruce (here we'd use picea sitchensis) as the mantle would
require cutting the spruce after just five or ten years. It would
quickly overshadow a companion hardwood. The sharp needles would do a
fine job of retarding browse though.

Old 10-02-2003, 12:23 AM
Bob Weinberger

"mhagen" wrote in message ...

I can understand the method's use for forest restoration in the specific
cases you mentioned. There have been similar attempts here (pacific NW
usa) - conversion to hardwood is uncommon and difficult to manage. In my
area, use of Spruce (here we'd use picea sitchensis) as the mantle would
require cutting the spruce after just five or ten years. It would
quickly overshadow a companion hardwood. The sharp needles would do a
fine job of retarding browse though.

Several outfits on the Oregon Coast ( Hampton in the Big Creek area being one) are using Sitka Spruce
seedlings as nurse trees whenever they want to grow Western Red Cedar for diversity. They plant Sitka
seedlings in the same planting hole as the WRC seedling. From what I have seen, it works quite well
in preventing browse of the WRC. Planting WRC in areas of heavy Elk/deer use is a pretty futile
undertaking otherwise. The areas where they have done this are far enough inland that the spruce tip
moth stunts most of the spruce at about 6' ht. while the WRC grows past it.

Bob Weinberger

Old 10-02-2003, 04:43 PM
Rasmus D. Andersen

"Bob Weinberger" wrote in message

"mhagen" wrote in message

[...]

We would chose fast growing species which won't grow taller than a few
meters like the Pinus mugo when plantning in the same planting hole or use
the Picea (here abies) to create a forest climate (10-20 years) and then
later plant/sow the fragile species underneath. The cutting of Picea in the
age of 5-10 years would give no output, even as fuelwood on the sandy areas.
Maybe christmas trees?
Does anyone of you have experience with sowing forest tree species, now
we're at it?

Rasmus