Old 22-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Registered User

Default Design Student- looking for help and advice

Hello,

My name is jenny and I am currently in my last year at university studying product design. For my final project I am trying to produce a product that makes the gardening experience ultimately more enjoyable.

From research, I have noticed that preparation before, during and after a gardening activity can take various length of time (By preparation I mean finding the right tools, getting changed in to old cloths, making cups of tea, having to take of dirty cloths before entering the house e.t.c) which results in time being wasted and the experience being frustrating.

Considering the above I have a few rough ideas on a product that keeps all your tools and equipment together in one place and can be transported in to the garden with ease so as everything is there when you need it, as well allowing easy storage and organisation of tools

I would really appreciate any answers to the following questions as well as to my initial idea mentioned above so as to help me gain a better insight into the gardening experience:

What do you find most difficult with the gardening process?

What do you find most enjoyable about the garden process?

Where do you store your garden tools?

Are your Garden tools organised?

Could you list your top 10 most important tools/equipment?

Do you listed to music while you garden?

Thank you for your time and effort.
Old 22-02-2006, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"jenny2006" wrote in message

Hello,
My name is jenny and I am currently in my last year at university
studying product design. For my final project I am trying to produce a
product that makes the gardening experience ultimately more enjoyable.

From research, I have noticed that preparation before, during and after
a gardening activity can take various length of time (By preparation I
mean finding the right tools, getting changed in to old cloths, making
cups of tea, having to take of dirty cloths before entering the house
e.t.c) which results in time being wasted and the experience being
frustrating.
Considering the above I have a few rough ideas on a product that keeps
all your tools and equipment together in one place and can be
transported in to the garden with ease so as everything is there when
you need it, as well allowing easy storage and organisation of tools

I would really appreciate any answers to the following questions as
well as to my initial idea mentioned above so as to help me gain a

better insight into the gardening experience:

What do you find most difficult with the gardening process?

My gardens too small

What do you find most enjoyable about the garden process?

Spring when everything pops up anew

Where do you store your garden tools?

Small tools in a shoebow on a shelf in the shed
Large one, upturned in a large old tin in the shed

Are your Garden tools organised?

They are not members of a Union at all

Could you list your top 10 most important tools/equipment?

Secateurs
Trowel
Spade
Fork

Do you listed to music while you garden?

No

Thank you for your time and effort.
jenny2006

Jenny

Old 22-02-2006, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"jenny2006" wrote in message

Hello,

My name is jenny and I am currently in my last year at university
studying product design. For my final project I am trying to produce a
product that makes the gardening experience ultimately more enjoyable.

From research, I have noticed that preparation before, during and after
a gardening activity can take various length of time (By preparation I
mean finding the right tools, getting changed in to old cloths, making
cups of tea, having to take of dirty cloths before entering the house
e.t.c) which results in time being wasted and the experience being
frustrating.

Considering the above I have a few rough ideas on a product that keeps
all your tools and equipment together in one place and can be
transported in to the garden with ease so as everything is there when
you need it, as well allowing easy storage and organisation of tools

I would really appreciate any answers to the following questions as
well as to my initial idea mentioned above so as to help me gain a
better insight into the gardening experience:

What do you find most difficult with the gardening process?

Fitting in the plants - never enough space

What do you find most enjoyable about the garden process?

Spring and
Sitting and admiring my handywork with a glass of something

Where do you store your garden tools?

around the garden sticking in the ground

Are your Garden tools organised?

yes I know exactly where I left them

Could you list your top 10 most important tools/equipment?

Secetaurs
Trowel
Mower
Shredder

Do you listed to music while you garden?

absolutly not, listening to the birds and weather is part of the reason for
doing it

Thank you for your time and effort.

--
jenny2006

Old 22-02-2006, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

jenny2006 wrote:

What do you find most difficult with the gardening process?

At the lotty it's Irish men. At home it's finding a place for yet
another baby.

What do you find most enjoyable about the garden process?

Physical work and eating.

Where do you store your garden tools?

In conservatory.

Are your Garden tools organised?

Well I know where is everything.

Could you list your top 10 most important tools/equipment?

Fork, spade, hand fork, hoe, my knife, wheelbarrow, secateurs, raffia,
kettle, lighter.

Do you listed to music while you garden?

No. I listen to music all the time, when I cook, clean, drive, walk the
dogs, read, work but never when I garden. When I'm out there, I only
listen to the birds and the buzz and sadly to the Irish men ;o)

Old 22-02-2006, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"jenny2006" wrote in message

Do you listen to music while you garden?

Playing music out of doors through speakers where it could
be heard by other people, is rightly regarded as anti-social
and a nuisance IMO. Listening to music, or Gardeners Question
Time or say test cricket for that matter, through headphones
might be o.k. but would probably be regarded as a touch
eccentric. It might also depend on how much time people spent
in the garden and why they were out there in the first place.
Whether out of horticultural necessity - jobs definitely
needing to be done - or simply as a means of getting out of
earshot of boring relatives on a regular visit etc. In which
case earphones might be an ideal solution. Either that or
the shed anyway.

michael adams

Old 22-02-2006, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

jenny2006 wrote:
Hello,

My name is jenny and I am currently in my last year at university
studying product design. For my final project I am trying to produce a
product that makes the gardening experience ultimately more enjoyable.

From research, I have noticed that preparation before, during and
after a gardening activity can take various length of time (By
preparation I mean finding the right tools, getting changed in to old
cloths, making cups of tea, having to take of dirty cloths before
entering the house e.t.c) which results in time being wasted and the
experience being frustrating.

I doubt if the person who told you that was a gardener. It sounds more
like the attitude of somebody who is forced reluctantly to look after a
garden just because it's there -- for some, it's just another kind of
housework. A leisure footballer doesn't find it frustrating to have to
change in and out of his kit: it's part of the experience.

Considering the above I have a few rough ideas on a product that keeps
all your tools and equipment together in one place and can be
transported in to the garden with ease so as everything is there when
you need it, as well allowing easy storage and organisation of tools

[...]

Do you know how much a keen gardener's set of tools actually _weighs_? I
have fewer than many people, and I couldn't shift all mine in one go
with the best wheelbarrow in the world. And, of course, I would never
want to anyway: you pick up the few tools you'll need for the job you're
about to do. It's not an inconvenience to pick up a hoe, or at most a
spade, a fork, and a rake. Some tools you may not need every year (pick,
mattock, sledgehammer, pruning saw, bow saw, etc), so it would be daft
to wheel them round the garden every time you wanted to prune a rose.

If you _do_ want to design a lightweight mobile tool cabinet for people
with only a few tools, note that more than one wheel is bad in a garden,
and that rakes and Dutch hoes are long. Consider also attractiveness to
thieves. At the prototype stages there is no substitute for working
several gardens for a year or two to get to appreciate what the problems
are and aren't: questionnaires just don't cut it, as you can't know what
questions to ask till you already have some idea what the answers will
be.

Sorry if I sound like a wet blanket.

--
Mike.

Old 22-02-2006, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"michael adams" wrote in message

"jenny2006" wrote in message

Do you listen to music while you garden?

Playing music out of doors through speakers where it could
be heard by other people, is rightly regarded as anti-social
and a nuisance IMO. Listening to music, or Gardeners Question
Time or say test cricket for that matter, through headphones
might be o.k. but would probably be regarded as a touch
eccentric. It might also depend on how much time people spent
in the garden and why they were out there in the first place.
Whether out of horticultural necessity - jobs definitely
needing to be done - or simply as a means of getting out of
earshot of boring relatives on a regular visit etc. In which
case earphones might be an ideal solution. Either that or
the shed anyway.
michael adams

I do actually listen to the radio in the GH when potting up etc.........
Jenny

Old 22-02-2006, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"jenny2006" wrote in message

[...]

Black Sabbath and Motorhead at full blast until the glass starts
to crack, no doubt.

michael adams

Old 22-02-2006, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"jenny2006" wrote

My name is jenny and I am currently in my last year at university
studying product design. For my final project I am trying to produce a
product that makes the gardening experience ultimately more enjoyable.

Excellent so far.

From research, I have noticed that preparation before, during and after
a gardening activity can take various length of time (By preparation I
mean finding the right tools, getting changed in to old cloths, making
cups of tea, having to take of dirty cloths before entering the house
e.t.c) which results in time being wasted and the experience being
frustrating.

true true.

Considering the above I have a few rough ideas on a product that keeps
all your tools and equipment together in one place and can be
transported in to the garden with ease so as everything is there when
you need it, as well allowing easy storage and organisation of tools

Got that, it's called a Landrover 90 utility (LR speak for van).

I would really appreciate any answers to the following questions as
well as to my initial idea mentioned above so as to help me gain a
better insight into the gardening experience:

What do you find most difficult with the gardening process?

Dealing with the pests and diseases (including human) and their aftermath.

What do you find most enjoyable about the garden process?

Growing stuff.

Where do you store your garden tools?

Landrover 90 utility

Are your Garden tools organised?

Yes to some extent.

Could you list your top 10 most important tools/equipment?

Wolf Multitool push pull weeder
....ditto... onion hoe on small handle
Digging fork
Draw hoe
Line
Measuring stick (6ft marked off in 3inch lengths so I can plant rows neatly)
Wire mesh fencing (to grow peas up)
8ft canes to grow beans up
Secateurs (various)
String.

Do you listed to music while you garden?

Certainly not, the point of being outside is to experience it, including the
sounds.(Birds, foxes, V12 Ferrari's etc)

--
Regards
Bob

Old 22-02-2006, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"jenny2006" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry I forgot to add - to drown out the noise of next door's
shredder.

michael adams

Old 23-02-2006, 03:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "michael adams" contains these words:

Playing music out of doors through speakers where it could
be heard by other people, is rightly regarded as anti-social
and a nuisance IMO.

My next-door neighbour plays '50s/'60s pop and C&W quite often - and the
osd's deaf - so...

I am sometimes tempted to take a tape machine and a pair of speakers
outside and give him a few blasts of Olivier Messaien, Stravinsky,
Strindberg or similar.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-02-2006, 03:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

/snip/

Sorry if I sound like a wet blanket.

Good advice though.

I didn't reply because I suspected the answers would have been liberally
spiced with sarcasm

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-02-2006, 03:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "michael adams" contains these words:

I do actually listen to the radio in the GH when potting up etc.........
Jenny

Black Sabbath and Motorhead at full blast until the glass starts
to crack, no doubt.

Philip Glass?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 23-02-2006, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave the exTrailer

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:31:35 +0000, jenny2006
wrote:

What do you find most difficult with the gardening process?

Pushing the wife out in the rain to dig it.

What do you find most enjoyable about the garden process?

Sitting down in the conservatory watching the wife digging the garden
in the rain

Where do you store your garden tools?

Ask the wife, she knows.

Are your Garden tools organised?

They organised a union last year

Could you list your top 10 most important tools/equipment?

Ask the wife

Do you listed to music while you garden?

I 'listed' to music while she's gardening

Thank you for your time and effort.

Na warries mate

Old 23-02-2006, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:

Black Sabbath and Motorhead at full blast until the glass starts
to crack, no doubt.

Yes, good stuff to help you split perennials or even Zeppelin, but for
pricking out seedlings something a bit less raucous. Fairport
Convention did it for me when pricking out thousands of begonias and
gloxinias. When watering cyclamen late in the year, it had to be
Steeleye Span and gaudete - just to get into the Christmas spirit
like.

From which it would appear, either that you're experiencing a very
high failure rate, you have a very large garden, or your activities
are sometimes determined by ulterior motives.

Good try though, nevertheless.

michael adams

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK