Old 21-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Fred Elbel

Default Debunking the "more trees" lie once again (was Creationist Limbaugh doesn't unders

[Sorry for any duplicate posts, folks. Newsreader client is acting
up.]

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 14:46:57 +0000 (UTC), (Tim
Worstall) wrote:

Forests are expanding.

Well, I know that U.S. population will double this century according
to the Census Bureau.

As for expanding forests? One must ask what kind of forests.
Estimates vary, but it is generally agreed that 3-5% of our original
forest still stands. That means native forest - self-regenerating
ecosystems. This includes old growth forest and also includes some
forests planted in the last 100 years or so. The key principle is that
a regenerating forest is a forest ecosystem that requires no
intervention from humans to survive and thrive. Tree farm and parks
don't count.

The economic and ecological value of an old growth grove of a dozen
trees can not be replaced by planting a thousand teeny seedlings on a
leached, eroded hillside. It's not the same ecosystem.
Self-regenerating forest ecosystems support wildlife, create clean
water and air, and even rain. Scientific studies have proven that the
Olympic penninsula literally creates rain.

Here's an interest series of maps illustrating the loss of U.S. native
forests since 1620.
http://www.forestcouncil.org/learn/logging.php

Interestingly, the Forest Service admits that it loses $1.2 billion
dollars managing the federal timber program every year. In other
words, forest "harvesting" is run at a net loss to the taxpayers -
we're paying for corporate interests to cut our national forests.

Amazing, isn't it?

Fred Elbel