Old 22-12-2002, 05:16 AM
Larry Harrell

Default Debunking the "more trees" lie once again (was Creationist Limbaugh doesn't unders

Fred Elbel wrote in message . ..

Interestingly, the Forest Service admits that it loses $1.2 billion
dollars managing the federal timber program every year. In other
words, forest "harvesting" is run at a net loss to the taxpayers -
we're paying for corporate interests to cut our national forests.

Amazing, isn't it?

Fred Elbel

Nobody seems to mention that a huge part of the USFS timber program is
fuels management and those aren't designed to make money. They're
supposed to reduce fuels with some selling of volume to help offset
the cost. Also, If the USFS didn't have to meet all those NEPA
guidelines, public opinion, and a multitude of local, regional, state
and Federal laws, just like private industry, then maybe we'd make a
profit, Fred. Sure, there's plenty of bureaucratic red tape and
inefficiency but, what is asked of us is considerable. Private
forestry has no comparison to the Federal forestry world.

"Corporate Interests" want that steady supply of small logs that will
result from thinning programs soon to be mandated by Congress. Loggers
want to go to work. People want to be safe from fires. The forests
need to be healthier, drought resistant and fire resistant.
"Management", as opposed to "preservationism" will get our forests
resored much quicker than "Mother Nature", as she works on very long
cycles without man's intervention.

Yes Fred, forestry IS amazing.

Larry eco-forestry rules!