Old 20-08-2005, 01:07 AM
The Lady Gardener

Default Citrus is Perth

I have an old citrus tree that has been in decline for a couple of years,
but has no obvious pest.

Extremities are dying off and there is a dead wood in the middle of the
tree.

The bark is discoloured, but not with spot like areas. THe fruit on this
tree is not palitable even when it does produce.

It is very close to a callistomen - but has been for over 30 years without
harmful side effects.

We want to preserve the tree for privacy rather than any other reason, so
fruit crops are not important.

Any ideas on possible reasons for its decline?

Joanne in Perth

Old 20-08-2005, 12:17 PM

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 00:07:59 GMT, "The Lady Gardener" wrote:

I have an old citrus tree that has been in decline for a couple of years,
but has no obvious pest.

Extremities are dying off and there is a dead wood in the middle of the
tree.

The bark is discoloured, but not with spot like areas. THe fruit on this
tree is not palitable even when it does produce.

It is very close to a callistomen - but has been for over 30 years without
harmful side effects.

We want to preserve the tree for privacy rather than any other reason, so
fruit crops are not important.

Any ideas on possible reasons for its decline?

It might have reached it's Use By date. Replace it with a fresh plant.

Old 20-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Terry Collins

The Lady Gardener wrote:

Any ideas on possible reasons for its decline?

Age?

Minerals: do you spread citrus food annual/bi-annually?

Nutrient: do you fertilise the area?

Water: too little.

Too much old wood; cut out all the dead wood, then open it up by cutting
out live wood, take out some of the major old branches.

Old 21-08-2005, 02:23 AM
nickv

Ha my good mate on that ABC gardening show opened my eyes. He got the
chainsaw to some tired citrus and cut it back to basically a stump. (well to
about 3 branches twice as thick as your arm).

My mum had some two citrus trees we tried this on, a lemon and orange and
both sprung back brilliantly. It has taken a couple of years however both
trees are now producing very well again, and regaind their original size.
My lemon will be getting this treatment shorty, its got too many sharp bits
to be lightly pruned.

Your Milage Might Vary, however im interested to hear other ppls experiance
on this too.

Old 21-08-2005, 09:19 AM
David Hare-Scott

"The Lady Gardener" wrote in message
I have an old citrus tree that has been in decline for a couple of years,
but has no obvious pest.

Extremities are dying off and there is a dead wood in the middle of the
tree.

The bark is discoloured, but not with spot like areas. THe fruit on this
tree is not palitable even when it does produce.

It is very close to a callistomen - but has been for over 30 years without
harmful side effects.

We want to preserve the tree for privacy rather than any other reason, so
fruit crops are not important.

Any ideas on possible reasons for its decline?

Joanne in Perth

If you want to try to save it then a full renovation is probably required.

1) Prune ASAP removing all dead/damaged/tangled wood. If very thick and
congested remove some branches to open it out to the sun. Remove grass and
weeds from under the tree. Then mulch 5cm deep from 10cm away from the
trunk out to the extent of branches.
2) Feed with citrus food mid September or whenever Spring growth is
apparently well under way in your garden and again in December or January.
3) Water regularly especially in Spring and Summer, water extra if it has
been very hot and dry.

David

Citrus Plants, Citrus Feed, Citrus Compost Kathryn Selfe Marketplace 0 01-11-2008 03:41 PM
Perth sand improvement Raelene Australia 6 07-01-2004 08:12 AM
gardener available in Perth tristan Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Mangoes in Perth. Grae Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Any pond people out there?Perth Grae Australia 5 18-03-2003 11:56 AM