Old 11-10-2005, 09:13 AM
andy

Default no flowers on wisteria

Hi,
Im wondering if anyone would no why there are no flowers on my
wisteria again. It is about 5 or 6 years old and faces north, east. It
is very healthy and has prolific foliage. I dont fertilize or water it
specifically. We are in a temperate to cool climate and other wisterias
in the neighbourhood seem to be flowering happily.
thanking you in advance, andy

Old 16-10-2005, 12:21 PM
panuara

I have been told to not fertilize at all and dont overwater. Ours took
a couple of years to flower.
You might do a search on the net re pruning to ensure you dont take off
the flower buds. Just an idea. Good luck.

Old 20-10-2005, 01:23 AM
andy

thank you, its just a case of hacking back at the moment, as I think its
about to take over the pergola!

Old 08-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Registered User

Location: Albany. Western Australia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Hi,
Im wondering if anyone would no why there are no flowers on my
wisteria again.
It depends on how you are pruning the Wisteria?
Its always better to prune the long, leggy new growth out in late Spring,this way you will not remove the flowering spurs by mistake.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:39 AM
HC

G'day Andy

My Wisteria faces west and never gets watered (unless it rains) and
never fertilised. It's been in this position for approx 10 years and
the flowers and perfume are a delight each year. I don't want it to
ramble everywhere, so I'm training it into a tree shape (ie with one
main trunk) and knock out any new runners. To be totally honest mine
gets ignored except to cut off rampant new shoots but it seems more than
happy.

My late husband paid an exorbitant price for this plant at a nursery
just before his death, the extra $$$$'s because it was 'supposed' to be
a Pink Wisteria, which he planned to bonsai. Needless to say it's the
traditional mauve, which is really nice, but I know he would have been
mad as hell because it wasn't what he paid for.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

Old 10-11-2005, 01:54 AM
meee

do you know anything about bonsai bronwyn? and i've just moved my wisteria
bonsai to tropcal climates and been told it won't flower and will probably
cark it. however it's looking pretty happy, and i'm thinking about
refrigerating it next winter...am I crazy or might it work?

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-11-2005, 03:25 AM
HC

G'day meee

My late husband was the bonsai expert and while I know a little, I'm far
from expert...lol!

From what I've seen of Bonsai Wisteria they do look nice, with a really
thick trunk and lovely pendulous flowers. I've just looked on one of my
gardening books and it says...Wisteria is extremely versatile for
temperate and frost-free areas and like loamy acid soil and need water
aplenty at flowering time to hold the blossom well.

Mine hasn't been 'watered aplenty' during the drought and the last
couple of years the flowers have been superb. In fact mine is totally
neglected other than shortening back any new shoots. The frost-free
comment seems a little strange as I know of a very old Wisteria (at the
time was over 100 years old) in an area of HEAVY frost and snow. In
fact some days the frost didn't melt until after lunch and the whole
garden was frozen solid with hardly enough time to thaw before night
fell and another whopping frost.

Have you tried watering it with ice blocks? That would keep up the
water and keep the roots cool. Not sure I'd want to refrigerate it for
too long.....that's just my own thought. Can you grow a second one from
a cutting? Then at least if you lose one, you'd still have another,
presuming you treated them differently.

Have you googled for Wisteria growing in Cairns or Darwin? They are
originally from China and Japan so I'm not sure how they do in really
hot climates. I'm on the MidNorthCoast NSW and can't fault mine in this
location. Will be interested to hear what you find?

Bronwyn ;-)

Old 10-11-2005, 04:04 AM
meee

thanks for that info. The bonsai expert who i spoke to told me hers just
gradually dropped branches and died. I was expecting it to start looking sad
now, as it's quite humid and at least 28 deg every day, but it seems to be
growing well. i changed the pot to a slightly deeper one with thicker walls,
although unglazed it's not cheap terracotta but thick, good quality clay
handmade pot. it seems to hold water well, and i've been making sure it
doesn't dry out. since changing it to the better pot it has popped out more
buds, but definitely doesn't seem to be pining away! the heat and water seem
to have encouraged it! and when i repotted it had quite good root growth,
which is very encouraging as i hacked it back quite viciously in early
spring. so i am encourged, however as it won't have a cool spell over winter
i am rather doubtful about flowers. I may just have to grow it and wait
until we move to a cooler climate in the future. I was considering moving it
into the fridge every night to simulate winter in a more temperate zone; ie
warm days, cool nights. but i'm not sure that i'd want to risk it. anyway i
will try the ice on the roots. that will probably really help mid summer, as
to me it sounded like the other lady's plant died from heat stress.

"HC" wrote in message
G'day meee

My late husband was the bonsai expert and while I know a little, I'm far
from expert...lol!

From what I've seen of Bonsai Wisteria they do look nice, with a really