Old 22-10-2005, 05:49 AM
Barbara

Default Relocating A BIRDS NEST WITH EGGS

augie wrote:
We have had to remove a huge gum tree from our yard due to
renovations.

A nest with eggs was discovered in our tree, and between us and the
tree loppers we salvaged the nest and part of the branch it was
located on. The best solution I could come up with was to relocate
the nest into the next closest (but smaller) tree, about 4 meters
away, so the nest would still have shelter.

The parent birds are agitated and trying to locate their nest.

What are the chances of our 'relocation program' working out?

(The birds are small black and white birds, larger than a willy
wagtail, smaller than a butcher bird. I have no idea what they are
called, but have stayed as a pair caring for the nest until now).

Peewees?

The nest of a pair of Peewees fell out of a tree in our front yard, wtih 3
chicks in it.
We put the nest and the chicks in a fibre lined hanging basket, then hung
the basket in a nearby tree. The parents resumed raising the babies without
any problems.