Old 05-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Wylie Wilde

Default Best way to kill weeds and unwanted grass seeds

What's the best way to effectively kill weeds and unwanted grass seeds?

I removed practically 500kg of weeds from my garden this last two weeks. I
filled up my two sun exposed post pillarbox-type compost bins to the brime
with weeds and cut grass. I then threw the rest away in my two huge council
compost garbage bins.

The compost bins are exposed to the hot westerly sunshine. I plan to hold
the bins there til next Winter then use them- ie a period of five months.

I also have an open compost cage where I throw my lawn clippings and leaves.
But because its in an exposed and hot area- the compost thens to dry up. I
turn it over every now and then- it helps but...

But I'm worried that when I use them for top dressing and for my flower beds
next year, the weed and ex-grass seeds will germinate and give me hell.

I heard that placing the pulled out weeds in a plastic container filled with
water- will cause it to rot and kill the seeds.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Wilde

Old 06-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Wylie Wilde" wrote:

I heard that placing the pulled out weeds in a plastic container filled with
water- will cause it to rot and kill the seeds.

Yes, that works, but it involves a large container of water which might not be
a good idea if you have little kids around. The water also can start to smell
bad, which won't affect the result, but might be a problm if the bin is close
to teh house!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:42 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Wylie Wilde" wrote in message
[...]

The drowning method will work. Also if you can get your compost heap to run
hot it will kill the seeds, this requires a large volume as a small heap
will not heat up and careful balancing of various ingredients and also the
amount of water.

David